Austin Berry (soccer)
|Full name||Gregory Austin Berry|
|Date of birth||October 6, 1988|
|Place of birth||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2010||Chicago Fire Premier||16||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
College and amateur
Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, he attended the Summit Country Day School for high school where he played four fall seasons of soccer. With a 14-1-1 record during his senior year, Berry contributed 10 goals, 6 assists, and led his team to the Regional finals. He earned first team all-state, first team Miami Valley Conference, Division III Player of the Year, and was named a Cincinnati Enquirer All-Star. Berry played college soccer at the University of Louisville between 2007 and 2011. During his time at Louisville, Berry was named an NSCAA All-American in 2010 and 2011, Soccer America and College Soccer News All-American honors, Earned Big East Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2010, All-BIG EAST First Team and Big East All Tournament Team in 2010 and 2011. In 2010, he led the University of Louisville to the national championship game and was named to the College Cup All Tournament Team.
Chicago Fire selected Berry in the first round (No. 9 overall) of the 2012 MLS SuperDraft. Berry made his first MLS appearance against Chivas USA. After fouling Juan Pablo Angel in the box to concede a penalty (which resulted in a goal), Berry scored his first MLS goal two minutes later off a throw-in deep in the Chivas box. Berry earned MLS team of the week honors after the Chivas game and was named the Miller Lite Player of the Game in his second match against Real Salt Lake.
At the end of the 2012 MLS season Austin Berry has been awarded the league's 2012 Rookie of the Year Award. In his first MLS season Berry has started in 28 games and scored three goals, one in his debut match. Berry collected the most votes in all three categories: players, media and club management.
- MLS Rookie of the Year: 2012
- Austin Berry. "Austin Berry Profile - University of Louisville Official Athletic Site". Uoflsports.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "United Soccer Leagues (USL)". Uslsoccer.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- about 23 hours ago (January 16, 2011). "Chicago Fire of MLS make Summit's Austin Berry No. 9 pick | High School Sports Blog". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Fire defender Berry wins 2012 Rookie of the Year award". mlssoccer.com. November 19, 2012.
- Maggard, Cody. "Philadelphia Acquire Austin Berry from Chicago". Fansided.