Australia's Next Top Model (cycle 1)
|Australia's Next Top Model, Cycle 1|
Cycle 1 cast
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Original run||4 January 2005– 22 February 2005|
|No. of contestants||10|
Cycle one of Australia's Next Top Model began airing on 4 January 2005, with ten ladies competing for the title. There was no international destination for this cycle. The series finale was held in Melbourne, Victoria.
The ten finalists came from around the country and converged in Sydney, where they spent eight weeks sharing an inner city apartment while competing for the title of Australia's Next Top Model.
Gemma Sanderson was the winner of the first series, and she is the oldest winner in the franchise's history. The prize for winning the first series of Australia's Next Top Model was a contract with Chic Model Management, an all-expense paid trip to Milan to meet with Italian modeling agency Fashion, an eight-page editorial in Cleo magazine, and being the face for a national campaign for Napoleon cosmetics for one year.
- 1 Episode Summary
- 2 Contestants
- 3 Summaries
- 4 Post Top-model Careers
- 5 References
The Girl Who Makes A Poor Mark
Original Airdate: 4 January 2005
The series premiere begins with the top ten girls from across Australia being greeted by the host, Erika Heynatz. They are then led towards their first challenge in Catalina's for their catwalk show. The girls soon meet Alex Perry, Australia's king of fashion couture, who tells them that they're going to be strutting their stuff down a runway in front of an audience. The girls are then handed the keys to their new Sydney apartment and excitedly explore their new penthouse.
The next day, Erika has a discussion with the girls about eating habits. They weigh in and have their measurements taken. Later that day, Zoe celebrates her birthday and Erika presents a chocolate cake to her. Nicole revealed that she broke up with her former boyfriend prior to the show. They were then introduced to the Sydney social scene at an A-List cocktail party. Before the party, Atong thought that her wallet was moved and some of her money had been stolen. Back at the house, drama ensued as the wallet issue became a full-on house meeting.
The next day the girls were surprised with Brazilian waxes. Later that night they found some Krispy Kreme donut boxes as well as an Erika Mail hinting about their next photo shoot.
For their first photo shoot, the girls met Michael Azzolini, their personal stylist and helper, who fit them into bikinis and took them down to the beach where some girls did exceptionally well while others flopped. Naomi gets criticized about her undersized body. After the photo shoot, the girls are taken to a bar for a club party. Tensions arise when Allana, against competition rules, met up with some friends in the bar. As a result Gemma and Allana butted heads over the incident.
During elimination panel, Erika and the judges question Nicole on her eating habits. Chloe received a good review as the best photo for the week. The bottom two are revealed to be Naomi and Nicole, and Naomi was sent home for her short height and attitude.
- First call-out: Chloe Wilson
- Bottom two: Naomi Thompson & Nicole Fraser
- Eliminated: Naomi Thompson
- Featured photographer: Nick Leary
- Special guest: Brad Spence, Napoleon Perdis
The Girl Who Strikes Again
Original Airdate: 11 January 2005
They arrive at horse race track where Erika gave a lesson for horse riding. They proceeded to Dance Studio where they have a catwalk lesson from Alex and fashion model Mink Sadowsky. Nicole called her mother describing her body weight and she was annoyed from other girls in eating situation.
The next day, they were returned to Dance Studio for a catwalk challenge. Everyone is praised in their good walks. Gemma won the challenge and she picked Chloe for one-on-one interview with then-Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins. Gemma knew Jennifer for many years and she is from Newcastle like Gemma.
The following day, the nutritionist arrived and talked about food situation. Some girls are depressed in weight while Gemma decided to clean the house while some girls have just started to get to know each other and already there is tension and bitch fights. They went a salon for a nail polishing makeover where Nicole and Shannon had cleaned their eyebrows as a part of a makeover.
The girls do a photo shoot on horse back. During the photo shoot, Zoe took off her shoes when Erika asked her to wear it back. Allana and Atong were terrified of horses and struggled in their photo shoots. During the elimination panel, Gemma and Samantha praised their best photos. Nicole landed in bottom two again with Allana. Allana had a terrible in makeover and catwalk. Nicole is eliminated because the judges feel that she wasn't emotionally ready to handle the modeling industry.
- First call-out: Gemma Sanderson
- Bottom two: Nicole Fraser & Allana Ridge
- Eliminated: Nicole Fraser
- Featured photographer: Nick Leary
- Special guests: Mink Sadowsky, Jennifer Hawkins, Gina Byrne, Christina Fitzgerald, Sharon-Lee Hamilton, Sally Sharpe
The Girl Who Breaks The Edge
Original Airdate: 18 January 2005
In this episode, the girls have their personalized makeovers when they arrived at Joh Bailey salon. Shannon was ready for her edgier haircut and was pleased in the final result. Allana was saddened in her hair and having to remove her hair extensions and giving a strawberry blonde hair color. They straight went to dentist to having their teeth whitened. After the makeovers, they have to play a pool game where they impressed their excitement. Back at the house, the girls have to watch their audition videos were having fun and excited to see themselves.
The girls arrived at a Manor in Sydney and they paired up to do a lingerie photo shoot in the following pairs:
|Allana & Shannon|
|Atong & Chloe|
|Gemma & Samantha|
|Simmone & Zoe|
After the photo shoot, they have a gym session challenge from boxer Kostya Tszyu. Allana interested in exercise training and she worked in fitness industry before. Gemma won the challenge and she intended to choose Simmone for the prize but chose Shannon instead.
The next day, they arrived to Napoleon Perdis salon where they participated for a make-up challenge. Allana was depressed in her eyelashes and it is quite bad. Simmone won the challenge and she picked Chloe for a dinner with 4 bachelors back at the house. While the losers are intended to cook food for the winners and guests. Gemma had a charm with a guy where she had slept and having sex with him.
At judging panel, the judges gave them to do hair and make-up inside the panel. Simmone praised in her best photo. Allana and Atong stand in the bottom two. Erika stated her words, where Allana made a difficult proportion and Atong has a difficulty in motion. Despite having a bad photo shoot, Atong was eliminated.
- First call-out: Simmone Duckmanton
- Bottom two: Allana Ridge & Atong Tulba Mulual
- Eliminated: Atong Tulba Mulual
- Featured photographer: Steven Chee
- Special guests: Joh Bailey, Emanuel Perdis, Kostya Tszyu
The Girl Who Loses Her Faith
Original Airdate: 25 January 2005
The girls are to have an acting lesson from acting coach Dean Carey where they teach a lesson of acting. Allana started to depressing her tears that she wants to leave due to her diva attitude. They went in a Pole Studio for teach pole dancing where they have to get single moves in each steps. Allana developed a friendship with Zoe and Samantha when she isn't quite happy on her behavior and she would want to see her boyfriend at home.
They have an acting challenge where they paired up with Blair McDonough from Neighbours. Samantha excelled in her acting skills while she memorizes her lines and script. She wins the challenge and she takes Zoe and Allana to attend a new fashion magazine launch party as her prize. Samantha changed her mind in last minute and picked Simmone rescinding Allana's invitation to join in a part of her victory. Back at the house, they have a time to shoot a commercial for Venus Divine, and told that they have a personality in commercial. That night, Allana has a decision to leave where the other girls have a house meeting to discuss her rules followed in the competition were saying that she is upset for calling her boyfriend. Erika comes at the house for an unscheduled talk to Allana and she feels in her own decision where her boyfriend arrives on time to see her.
- Quit: Allana Ridge
The girls are involving for the photo shoot about Beauty Shoots with a spider as their companion. Samantha has a fear of spiders. The photographer knew that Gemma was probably the weakest in picture. At the panel, the girls are impressed to see a commercial. The judges gave an acting challenge and they are stand in front of them. Shannon shone in photo shoot. Chloe and Zoe end up in bottom two, Zoe had a social occasion and stayed late in beauty shoot while Chloe had a harsh potential in her look. Both of them were still running in the competition despite Allana's decision to leave.
- First call-out: Shannon McGuire
- Bottom two: Chloe Wilson & Zoe McDonald
- Eliminated: Neither (due to Allana's self-departure)
- Featured photographer: Sam Borich
- Special guests: Dean Carey, Blair McDonough, Jens Hertzum, Steve Fellenberg
The Girl Who Has The Flaws
Original Airdate: 1 February 2005
This week is all about body movement and body language. Alex Perry arrives the house for they give a critique and a few tips on their signature walks and poses on the runway. Later, the girls also learn some skills in salesmanship to sell a deodorant perfume product and they have the art of an interview from a media where they form into groups of two. Gemma got criticised in interview process and it was too hard for her. She breaks down and reveals that she regards her suffering of depression.
The following day, the girls arrive at horse race track for a runway show from public media. Samantha got exposed to wear her see through dress and seeing her breasts during the runway show. After the show, they have to watch horse racing. For the second challenge, they have an interview from Cleo magazine editor Nedahl Stelio. Shannon has a good personality in interview because of her Aboriginal roots and she wins the challenge and takes Simmone for a visit their love ones to Sydney.
The girls arrive at Circular Quay for an intimate photo shoot with Olympic swimmer Geoff Huegill. Shannon got a visit from her boyfriend, Matt, who arrives just in time to see her during the photo shoot. Simmone celebrated her birthday when her friend, Casey, arrives in time to see her. After the photo shoot, Shannon, Simmone and their love ones were taken to Sydney Zoo for having their social life.
At the panel, the judges have an interview who they think should be eliminated from the competition. Chloe and Samantha receive her good personality in photos. Shannon and Zoe step down to bottom two, Shannon's stiffness and (lack of) height but Zoe's lack of progression causes her to be the 5th girl eliminated from the competition.
- First call-out: Chloe Wilson
- Bottom two: Shannon McGuire & Zoe McDonald
- Eliminated: Zoe McDonald
- Featured photographer: Michelle Holden
- Special guests: Prue Macsween, Nikki Andrews, Joh Bailey, Nedahl Stelio, Geoff Huegill
The Girl Who Breaks Down
Original Airdate: 8 February 2005
The girls are arrive at Fitness First where they have a fitness session with Brad Spence. Later, they proceed at Dance Studio where they have to learn Tap Dancing. Some girls are bit impress of dancing. Chloe fails her experience in Acting, Selling and Dancing. Later, they have to do kayaking overlooking Sydney Harbour which some see as revenge. When they arrive back to the house, a clairvoyant person arrives in the house where they have talk about their personal lives.
They returned to Dance Studio where they have to take a dance challenge. Gemma ends her tears that she can get a proper dance and it is too hard. Simmone wins the challenge and picks Shannon for an afternoon lunch in a restaurant. They thrilled to see boxes of Peter Alexander clothing and luxury products from Brevelle. Simmone and Shannon are enjoying in a restaurant which overlooks Sydney. The rest of the girls have a box on session with Brad. Gemma has a temper tantrum that she would do a kickboxing and ending her emotional tears while she has an anxiety attack that she loses her attitude.
The next day, the girls arrived at Bobbi's pole dancing studio (which they went in same studio on Week 4) where they have to sell shoes in a stripper pole. Samantha performs well in photo while she gives an advice from a photographer.
During the panel, the judges give a 1-minute dance from a dance challenge in front of them. Chloe looks like a sick person that she has suffering from depression. Samantha receives a good photo and she is most professional than the other girls. Simmone and Gemma are in the bottom two, Simmone had a poor posture despite of her lack of confidence. Gemma has an outburst for emotional effort in dancing and physical fitness with Simmone sent home.
- First call-out: Samantha Morley
- Bottom two: Simmone Duckmanton & Gemma Sanderson
- Eliminated: Simmone Duckmanton
- Featured photographer: Andrew Gash
- Special guests: Brad Spence, Ben Read, Marlene Stoten, Sally Sharpe, Stephen Lee
The Girl Who Has One Look
Original Airdate: 15 February 2005
The girls are learn to have a go-see challenge from Zimmerman sisters where they have a 5 minute wardrobe challenge. Gemma started to cry in her tears and she wants to control her emotions. Later, they arrive at Cafe in Oxford Street where they discuss Gemma's eating habits.
The girls are sent to Westfield mall where they given another challenge which Michael gives them for A$200 and an hour in a mall to come up with an outfit that suits their personal style. They returned at the house where Michael tells them to wear the outfit bought from a mall. Chloe wins the shopping challenge where her dress is quite gorgeous and picks Shannon to share her prize – a relaxing spa treatment including body mud and a massage.
The photo shoot involving nude except for some gold body foil. They are quite nervous for a photo shoot. Samantha struggles to bend her chin during the photo shoot which her shoulder has dislocated and it is too shaky.
They also receive a lesson from June Dally-Watkins in dining matters, where some feel Samantha is being fake and overly-polite and proper to impress the teacher. Alex invites the girls and June for a dining feast about an old friend in many years.
During the panel, Erika and the judges give them a 30 minute make-up along the panel. Shannon and Gemma shone in their photos, but not Gemma's attitude problems. Samantha and Chloe are in the bottom two. Chloe had a poor posture and saves for the final round. Samantha was eliminated in her first bottom two appearance because the judges felt she only had "one look" and her expression in photos was always the same.
- First call-out: Shannon McGuire
- Bottom two: Samantha Morley & Chloe Wilson
- Eliminated: Samantha Morley
- Featured photographer: Nick Leary
- Special guests: Nicole Zimmerman, Simone Zimmerman, Brad Ngata, June Dally-Watkins
The Girl Who Becomes Australia's Next Top Model
Original Airdate: 22 February 2005
Shannon, Gemma and Chloe arrive at Joh Bailey salon for one last makeover. Erika told the girls that they are fly to Melbourne. When they arrive in Melbourne, they proceed to Medina Hotel where they stay for the entire week. They go to a beauty salon to do a beauty shoot for a cosmetics company which will appear on the cover of a high-fashion magazine. The girls arrive at Zambesi clothing retailer line and meet Elisabeth Findlay for a casting challenge. Later, they proceed to a penthouse suite for briefing on a make-up party. Simmone arrives to see them and they surprised. They attend a red carpet party for Mercedes Australian fashion week.
At the panel, they have a catwalk in front of the panel. Shannon's photo isn't as strong as the others'. Chloe has a good charm in her look. Gemma and Shannon land themselves in the bottom two. Gemma regains her attitude and her good effort in modeling work. Shannon was eliminated because of her mediocre final picture.
- First call-out: Chloe Wilson
- Bottom two: Shannon McGuire & Gemma Sanderson
- Eliminated: Shannon McGuire
- Featured photographer: Monty Cole
The two remaining girls then compete in two runway shows, and Australia's Next Top Model is crowned. The girls compete in two runway shows: Nicola Finetti and Zambesi. Both are impress in runway walks. At the final judging, Gemma has good in her walk and good attitude while Chloe has an unbelievable walk. Both are impress in high fashion photos. They are called back in and Erika announces that Gemma was chosen to be Australia's Next Top Model 2005.
- Final two: Gemma Sanderson & Chloe Wilson
- Australia's Next Top Model: Gemma Sanderson
- Special guests: Napoleon Perdis, Nicola Finetti, Elisabeth Findlay
Reunited and Exposed
Original Airdate: 1 March 2005
The 10 contestants of Cycle 1 of Australia's Next Top Model reunite and discuss their time and experiences on the show and also try to settle old scores in the process.
In order of elimination
(Ages stated are at time of contest)
|Naomi Thompson||22||Townsville, Queensland||Eliminated in Episode 1|
|Nicole Fraser||19||Albury, New South Wales||Eliminated in Episode 2|
|Atong Tulba Mulual||19||Sydney, New South Wales||Eliminated in Episode 3|
|Allana Ridge||20||Sydney, New South Wales||Quit in Episode 4|
|Zoe McDonald||20||Gold Coast, Queensland||Eliminated in Episode 5|
|Simmone Duckmanton||19||Melbourne, Victoria||Eliminated in Episode 6|
|Samantha Morley||20||Gold Coast, Queensland||Eliminated in Episode 7|
|Shannon McGuire||20||Perth, Western Australia||Eliminated in Episode 8|
|Chloe Wilson||19||Adelaide, South Australia||Runner-up|
|Gemma Sanderson||22||Newcastle, New South Wales||Winner|
- The contestant won the competition
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant quit the competition
- The contestant was part of a non-elimination bottom two
- In episode 4, Allana quit the competition. As a result of her decision to quit, no contestants were eliminated from the competition.
- In episode 9, all the 10 contestants reunite and discuss their time and experiences on the show.
Photo Shoot Guide
- Episode 1 Photo Shoot: Rogue Swimsuit on the Beach
- Episode 2 Photo Shoot: Horseback Riding
- Episode 3 Photo Shoot: Lingerie Pairs on Stair
- Episode 4 Photo Shoot: Beauty shots with Spiders
- Episode 5 Photo Shoot: Intimate with Geoff Huegill
- Episode 6 Photo Shoot: Selling shoes on stripper pole
- Episode 7 Photo Shoot: Nude shots with Gold Foil
- Episode 8 Photo Shoot: Cosmetic beauty Shots; Nicola Feneti and Zambesi runway shows
This cycle's makeovers also included teeth whitening, manicures and eyebrow grooming
- Atong – Weave, fringe added
- Allana – Hair extensions removed and dyed strawberry blonde
- Zoe – Trim added
- Simmone – Pixie cut and dyed platinum blonde
- Sam – Layers added and darkened
- Shannon – Various dark highlights added; later, crop cut and darkened
- Chloe – Dyed auburn red; later, dyed bright copper
- Gemma – Layered
Other cast members
- Michael Azzolini – personal stylist
Post Top-model Careers
- Gemma Sanderson: Gemma is now signed with Chic Management, Ice Models, Beatrice International Models and Storm Model Management. Gemma has been on the cover of Escape Magazine and has been featured in Elle Magazine (Italy), Silhouette Magazine (Italy), Cleo Magazine, Grazia Magazine (UK), Zest Magazine and Next Magazine among others. She has walked the runway for Myer, Tim O'Connor, Vasiliki and Allana Hill among others.
- Shannon McGuire: Shannon has a contract with Scene Models in Perth. She has also competed in Miss Universe Australia in 2008. Shannon has a son with David Wirrpanda named Marley.
- Samantha Morley: Sam has signed with Dally's model management. She has been on the cover of Frankie Magazine and Complete Magazine. Sam walked the runway for Lisa Ho, Ready To Wear 2006.
- Simmone Duckmanton: Simmone signed with Priscilla's Model Management and had the cover of Cleo Cool Hunter.
- Allana Ridge: She has signed Bliss Models & Management.
- Atong Tulba Mulual: She was signed with Vivien's Model Management from early 2005-late 2007, she walked for several Australian designers in 2006.
- Nicole Fraser: Did not pursue any modeling.
- Naomi Thompson: modeled for Helmi, Coast living and Trackside news.
- Chloe Wilson: Has been in Harper's Bazaar (Turkey) with multiple print work.
- Zoe Mcdonald: Did one print work for PWWA.