Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (October 2013)|
The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers is the main representative organisation of mathematics teachers in Australia. Membership is via affiliated state organisations. The AAMT conducts a number of activities including Reach for the stars, an activity for students, as well as submissions to government bodies and reports on issues relevant to mathematics teaching.
The AAMT has a federal structure consisting of these state, territory and regional mathematics associations:
- Canberra Mathematical Association
- Mathematical Association of New South Wales
- Mathematical Association of South Australia
- Mathematical Association of Tasmania
- Mathematical Association of Victoria
- Mathematical Association of Western Australia
- Mathematics Teachers Association of the Northern Territory
- New England Mathematical Association
- Newcastle Mathematical Association
- Primary Mathematics Association of South Australia
- Queensland Association of Mathematics Teachers
- Southern Cross Mathematical Association
The AAMT is governed by a council of representatives from these associations which appoints an executive consisting of a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and either a President Elect or Immediate Past President.
The AAMT publish Standards for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics in Australian Schools as a guide for the improvement and maintenance of teaching standards in mathematics in Australian schools.
The AAMT publishes three journals:
- Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom (APMC) - primary school mathematics education.
- The Australian Mathematics Teacher (AMT) - secondary school mathematics up to age 16
- Australian Senior Mathematics Journal (ASMJ) - senior secondary (Years 11 and 12) and early tertiary mathematics.
- "Mount Carmel School on Target with Literacy and Numeracy". Yass Tribune. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Morony, Will. "Submission to the Productivity Commission Schools Workforce Study". Australian Government Productivity Commission. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Trounson, Andrew (May 21, 2008). "Shortage of specialist maths teachers". The Australian. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Trounson, Andrew (May 21, 2008). "Best brains won't make the numbers". The Australian. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- "State and Territory Associations". Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Constitution and Regulations". Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers. February 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Standards for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics in Australian Schools (2006 edition)". The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers. Retrieved November 17, 2013.