Australian Cartoonists' Association
The Association's first clubrooms were at 250 George Street, Sydney.
Founding members were Reg Russom, Unk White, Syd Nicholls, Jack Quayle, John Wiseman, Jack Baird, Joe Jonsson, Cyril Samuels, Frank Jessop, Brodie Mack, Mick Paul, Harry J Weston, Jack Waring, Syd Miller, Arthur Mailey, F H Cumberworth, Fred Knowles and Cecil Hartt, who was elected president.
Other notable members
Hall of Fame
- Jimmy Bancks (1989-1952) - creator of Ginger Meggs
- Stanley Cross (1988-1977) - creator of The Potts and Wally and the Major
- Will Dyson (1880-1938) - political cartoonist (Bulletin, Melbourne Punch, Daily Herald)
- George Finey (1895-1987) - cartoonist (Smith's Weekly)
- Percy Learson (1889-1959) - early political cartoonist (Bulletin, Melbourne Punch)
- Pat Oliphant (1934- ) - 1967 Pulitzer Prize winner
Jim Russell Award
The Silver Stanley award is now known as the Jim Russell Award and is awarded to a cartoonist for services to the cartooning industry. The Jim Russell Award Formerly the Silver Stanley for Contribution to Australian Black & White Art, this award is made to the individual or organization who in the opinion of the ACA Board has made a significant contribution to Australian cartooning.
Previous recipients have included:
- 1985 Jim Russell
- 1987 John Thorby
- 1988 Vane Lindesay
- 1990 James Kemsley
- 1991 Dan Russell
- 1992 Lindsay Foyle
- 1993 John Champion
- 1994 Les Dixon
- 1995 Cole Buchanan
- 1996 Tony Rafty
- 1998 Jeff Hook
- 1999 Roger Fletcher
- 2000 Jenny Hughes
- 2001 Bruce Petty
- 2003 William Ellis Green "Weg"
- 2004 Monty Wedd
- 2005 Allan Salisbury "Sols"
- 2006 Paul Rigby
- 2007 Michael Atchison
- 2008 Jim Bridges
- 2009 Norman Hetherington "Heth"
- 2010 Steve Panozzo
- Sydney Morning Herald 6 August 1938
- Black and White Artists, The Sydney Morning Herald, (Monday, 31 July 1939), p.12.
- Sydney Morning Herald 16 February 1939
- Lindesay, Vane, Drawing from Life: A History of the Australian Black and White Artists' Club, State Library of New South Wales Press, (Sydney), 1994.