Australian Plant Name Index
The Australian Plant Name Index (APNI) is an online database of all published names of Australian vascular plants. It covers all names, whether current names, synonyms or invalid names. It includes bibliographic and typification details, information from the Australian Plant Census including distribution by state, links to other resources such as specimen collection maps, and the facility for notes and comments on other aspects.
Recognised by Australian herbaria as the authoritative source for Australian plant nomenclature, it is the core component of Australia's Virtual Herbarium, a collaborative project with A$10 million funding, aimed at providing integrated online access to the data and specimen collections of Australia's major herbaria.
Two query interfaces are offered:
- Australian Plant Name Index (APNI), a full query interface that delivers full results, with no automatic interpretation, and
- What's Its Name (WIN), a less powerful query interface that delivers concise results, augmented with automatic (and not always correct) inference as to the currency.
Originally the brainchild of Nancy Tyson Burbidge, it began as a four-volume printed work consisting of 3,055 pages, and containing over 60,000 plant names. Compiled by Arthur Chapman, it was part of the Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS). In 1991 it was made available as an online database, and handed over to the Australian National Botanic Gardens. Two years later, responsibility for its maintenance has given to the newly formed Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research.
- "About the Index: Data Sources: Geographical and historical coverage: Australian Plant Name Index". International Plant Name Index. Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- Croft, J.; Whitbread, N. (May 1999). "Plant Names for the 21st Century: The International Plant Names Index, a Distributed Data Source of General Accessibility". Taxon 48 (2): 317. doi:10.2307/1224436. ISSN 0040-0262. Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- Lughadha, Eimear Nic (29 April 2004). "Towards a working list of all known plant species". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 359 (1444): 681–687. doi:10.1098/rstb.2003.1446. ISSN 0962-8436, ISSN 1471-2970. Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- "Australian Plant Name Index". Archived from the original on 3 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-09.
- "The Australian Plant Name Index: an on-line resource of Australian plant names, and What's Its Name ?". Archived from the original on 3 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-09.
- Chapman, Arthur (1991). Australian Plant Name Index (Australian Flora and Fauna Series 12—15). Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service.
- Official Australian Plant Name Index (APNI) website — full detail search.
- What's Its Name (WIN) — full detail search.