Australian Radio Network
The Australian Radio Network is a group of commercial radio stations around Australia. It includes the Classic Hits and Mix networks and owns a 30% stake in the World Movies television channel.
The company operates the ARN News service in Australia, which utilises international correspondents and source news stories from AAP in Australia, CNN from the United States and Sky News and IRN from the United Kingdom. ARN has newsrooms in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane and Adelaide.
Originally ARN was a joint venture of Australian media conglomerate APN News & Media and United States radio company iHeartMedia (formerly Clear Channel Communications). On February 19, 2014, it was reported that APN News & Media had agreed to purchase Clear Channel's 50% stake in the Australian Radio Network. As a result, the Australian Radio Network is now fully owned by APN. The company continues to operate the Australian version of iHeartRadio.
Until 2014, ARN also included New Zealand radio networks Newstalk ZB, Classic Hits FM, ZM, Radio Sport, Radio Hauraki, Easy Mix, Flava and Coast. These are now part of the New Zealand Media and Entertainment, another branch of APN News & Media.
In Australia the company owns and operates twelve capital city stations for 25 to 54 year olds. These stations all broadcast entirely local programming, although network stations have the same format and logo.
In Sydney on KIIS 106.5, in Melbourne on Mix 101.1, in Adelaide on Mix 102.3, in Brisbane on 97.3 and in Canberra on Mix 106.3, the MIX network (except Sydney) plays Hot Adult Contemporary for 25 to 44 year olds.
In Sydney on WSFM 101.7, in Melbourne on Gold 104.3 in Brisbane on 4KQ 693AM, and Cruise 1323 in Adelaide. Pure Gold plays More Hot Adult Contemporary from the 1960s to 2000s, for the 25–49 year old market, Cruise 1323 only plays the Easy Listening and Oldies format. It uses the taglines ""Good times and great classic hits" (4KQ) and Pure Gold (WSFM/Gold)
Other stations carry different formats. Katoomba-licenced The Edge 96.ONE is a hip-hop, urban and R&B station reaching most of Sydney. Adelaide Classic Hits station 5DN was converted into easy listening station Cruise 1323. Nationwide internet-only station PureCountry was set up August 2006 to play a contemporary country music format but subsequently closed down. ARN's joint venture station in Canberra (104.7) is part of the Today Network run by Southern Cross Austereo.
|Licence area||Mix FM/KIIS||Classic Hits Pure Gold||The Edge|
|Sydney, New South Wales||2WFM "KIIS 106.5" (106.5 MHz FM)||2UUS "101.7 WSFM" (101.7 MHz FM)|
|Katoomba, New South Wales||2ONE "The Edge 96.ONE" (96.1 MHz FM)|
|Melbourne, Victoria||3TTT "Mix 101.1" (101.1 MHz FM)||3KKZ "Gold 104.3" (104.3 MHz FM)|
|Brisbane, Queensland||4BFM "97.3fm" (97.3 MHz FM)||4KQ (693 kHz AM)|
|Adelaide, South Australia||5ADD "Mix 102.3" (102.3 MHz FM)||5DN "Cruise 1323" (1323 kHz AM)|
|Licence area||Mix FM/Triple M LocalWorks||Today Network|
|Canberra, Australian Capital Territory||1CBR "Mix 106.3" (106.3 MHz FM)||2ROC "104.7" (104.7 MHz FM)|
The Australian Radio Network broadcasts a number of digital only radio stations, including: The Edge Digital, Mix 80s, Mix 90s and Chemist Warehouse Remix (details below). This is in addition to simulcasts of existing AM and FM stations.
- Edge Digital, a music format based on Katoomba licensed Edge 96.1, not a direct simulcast of that station, but shares resources, including logo and promotions. Edge Digital not available on Metro FM radio.
- Mix '80s, music from the 1980s, broadcast nationally.
- Mix '90s (previously Chemist Warehouse Mix 90s), music from the 1990s, broadcast nationally.
- Chemist Warehouse Remix, Today's Best Music from the 1960s to Today, broadcast nationally.
- Classic Hits Plus, e.g. 'WSFM Plus' in Melbourne and 'Gold Plus' in Melbourne. This station's format follows a 'featured artist' or theme, played on a monthly basis, e.g. Queen, David Bowie and Fleetwood Mac. This station was replaced by Mix '80s.
- Classic Hits Live, a new addition that plays live recorded tracks from artists played on the main Classic Hits station, including content played as part of an artist's feature month on Classic Hits Plus. This station was replaced by Mix '90s and Chemist Warehouse Remix.
- "APN confirms ARN & TRN buyout". Retrieved 2014-09-21.
- "iHeartRadio - ARN - Australian Radio Network". Retrieved 2014-09-21.
- ARN Digital-radio
- ARN, Australia
- New Zealand Media and Entertainment, New Zealand
- Clear Channel UK
- Clear Channel International
- Mean Fiddler accepts Clear Channel takeover bid, BBC News
- All BBC News stories for Clear Channel