Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame
|Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame|
Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame behind the bronze statue of a stockman called The Ringer
|Established||29 April 1988|
|Location||Longreach, Queensland, Australia|
|Type||Hall of fame|
The Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame is a museum located in Longreach, Queensland, Australia, which pays tribute to pioneers of the Australian outback. The centre is also dedicated to Australian stockmen and Aborigines who have shown bravery and courage.
The founder of the Hall of Fame was artist Hugh Sawrey, a well known painter and former stockman, who had the name registered in 1974, put up the initial funding, and enlisted supporters. His vision was to create a memorial to the explorers, overlanders, pioneers and settlers of outback Australia. This dream was shared by other outstanding Australians, including the legendary R. M. Williams.
Longreach was chosen as the location because of its historical role as a stock route junction and because of its current transport links. The original information centre, a sandstone cottage built by R. M. Williams, complete with hand adzed timber and black marble floors, was restored to its original character and now houses the Hall of Fame’s growing library collection.
- Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame - Our Story
- "Historical Data". Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Gibson, Lisanne; Joanna Besley (2004). Monumental Queensland: Signposts on a Cultural Landscape. University of Queensland Press. p. 124. ISBN 0702234656. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Official website
- Queensland Heritage Trails
- Queensland Holidays
- AMOL National Guide to Collecting Institutions
- Statue of a Stockman at the Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame - Images of the Outback
- Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame collection on eHive
|This North Queensland related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a museum in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|