Austria–United States relations
There are roughly 735,128 Austrian Americans residing in the United States.
In 1917, the United States declared war on the Austro-Hungarian Empire alongside the German Empire after being drawn into the First World War. The U.S. played an important role in Austria's reconstruction after World War II, via the Marshall Plan) and the Austrian State Treaty.
Vienna has frequently been chosen as the venue of key superpower summit meetings, like the Vienna summit in June 1961, with U.S. President John F. Kennedy and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev, or the SALT II agreement in June 1979, with U.S. President Jimmy Carter and Soviet General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev.
On June 21, 2006, U.S. President George W. Bush held bilateral talks with the President of Austria Heinz Fischer at the Hofburg Imperial Palace in Vienna, together with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Foreign Minister of Austria Ursula Plassnik, shortly before a US-European Union summit.
- U.S. Global Leadership Project Report - 2012 Gallup
- "Visits to the U.S. by Foreign Heads of State and Government--1984". Bureau of Public Affairs. Archived from the original on 12 November 2008. Retrieved 22 November 2008.
- "Remarks of President Reagan and President Rudolf Kirchschlager of Austria at the State Dinner". Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. 1984-02-28. Retrieved 22 November 2008.
- Woolley, John T.; Peters, Gerhard (1995-09-15). "Digest of Other White House Announcements, September 11". The American Presidency Project. University of California. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- Woolley, John T.; Peters, Gerhard (1995-10-20). "Digest of Other White House Announcements, October 19". The American Presidency Project. University of California. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- Stolberg, Sheryl Gay (2006-06-25). "In Europe, Bush Hears a Tale of 2 Prisons". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Gutes und sachliches Gespräch zwischen Bundespräsident Heinz Fischer und US-Präsident George W. Bush" (in German). Federal President of the Republic of Austria. 2006-06-21. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
Media related to Austria – United States relations at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about politics in Austria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about foreign relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|