Austria–South Korea relations
Relations are hampered by the fact that many people in South Korea do not know the difference between Australia and Austria. Mozart is quite popular in South Korea, but most do not know that he is Austrian.
Austria has an embassy in Seoul and an honorary consulate in Busan. South Korea has an embassy in Vienna and 4 honorary consulates (in Graz, Klagenfurt, Linz and Salzburg). The Austrian embassy in Seoul is located in the same building as the Australian embassy, often leading to misdelivered mail and confused visitors.
In 2007, South Korea was Austria's fourth-largest non-European Union trading partner. Two way trade was valued at about US$1.8 billion that year.
Notes and references
- Yoon, Won-sup; Kim, Se-jeong (2007-01-07), "There Are No Kangaroos in Austria", Korea Times, retrieved 2012-06-15
- "Bundespräsident Heinz Fischer zu Staatsbesuch in Südkorea eingetroffen" (in German). Federal President of the Republic of Austria. Retrieved 18 November 2008.
- Austrian Foreign Ministry: list of bilateral treaties with South Korea (in German only)
- Austrian embassy in Seoul (in German and Korean only)
- South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade about relations with Austria
- South Korean embassy in Vienna