Austrian Institute of Economic Research
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (August 2012)|
|Austrian Institute of Economic Research|
|Founder(s)||Friedrich August von Hayek, Ludwig von Mises|
|Mission||to analyse economic developments|
|Location||Arsenal (Vienna) Coordinates:|
|Address||A-1030 Vienna – Austria, Arsenal, Objekt 20|
The institute was founded in 1927 by Nobel Memorial Prize winner Friedrich August von Hayek and Ludwig von Mises. With a pool of around 120 people (40 economists) it is the largest economic research institute in Austria. WIFO is a member of the "Association of European Conjuncture Institutes" (AIECE) and the "European Economic Research and Advisory Consortium" (ERECO) with partner institutions in Birmingham, Bologna, Cambridge, Madrid, Munich, Paris and Rotterdam. It has also established ties to institutes in the USA, Australia and Asia.
WIFO analyses national and international economic trends and supplies short- to medium-term economic forecasts. Together with studies on European integration, competitiveness and location of industries and services, these trends and forecasts provide the basis for economic policies and corporate strategies. Research activities are bundled in the following five departments:
- Macroeconomics and European Economic Policy
- Labour market, income and social security
- Industrial economics, innovation and international competition
- Structural change and regional developments
- Environment, agriculture and energy
WIFO's activities include commissioned research and consulting for domestic and international decision-making bodies, the European Commission, the OECD, major business and financial institutions. It has established an extensive information system of regularly updated economic statistics, including U.N. Foreign Trade Statistics, World Debt Tables of the World Bank, the IMF International Financial Statistics, OECD Main Economic Indicators, and OECD Economic Outlook. It also publishes journals, reports, newsletters, and periodicals.
The Supervisory Board of WIFO is made up of Christoph Leitl (president of the Supervisory Board and of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber), Professor Erich Streissler (vice president; professor of economics at the University of Vienna), Herbert Tumpel (vice president; president of the Federal Chamber of Labour) and other representatives of its main carrier organisations and the Austrian political, economic and academic community.
- About WIFO, Austrian Institute of Economic Research
- Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO), RFE: Resources for Economists on the Internet
- Consortium, Pashmina Project
- Research groups, Austrian Institute of Economic Research
- Österreichisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Bloomberg Businessweek, 2 November 2011
- Official Website (English Version)