Autar Singh Paintal
|A. S. Paintal|
September 24, 1925|
|Died||December 21, 2004
|Institutions||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, University College of Medical Sciences,
Vallabhai Patel Chest Institute,
Indian Council of Medical Research
|Alma mater||King George Medical College|
|Notable awards||Padma Vibhushan (1986)
Honorary member of American Physiological Society, Fellow of the Royal Society, Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
Autar Singh Paintal M.D. Ph.D. (September 24, 1925, in Mogok, Burma – December 21, 2004, in Delhi, India) was a medical scientist who has made pioneering discoveries in the area of neurosciences and respiratory sciences.
His major contribution to the world of Science is the development of single-fiber technique for recording afferent impulses from individual sensory receptors. Paintal discovered several sensory receptors including atrial B receptors, pulmonary J-receptors, ventricular pressure receptors, stomach stretch receptors, and muscle pain receptors. They have set the beginning of new era in physiological understanding.
Paintal returned to India in 1953 and joined All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. He later became Director of the Vallabhai Patel Chest Institute. He was also the first Principal of University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi. He subsequently elevated to Director General of the Indian Council of Medical Research. He was also the founder president of Society of Scientific Values.
He had 3 children by his first wife Mrs Iris Paintal. His eldest daughter Dr Anita Tripathi studied medicine and taught physiology at King George's Medical College in Mumbai, his second daughter Priti Paintal is an established music composer in the UK with her own company ShivaNova (www.shivanova.com) and son Dr. Gautam Paintal, who is a professional geologist. His second wife Dr. Ashima Anand-Paintal is also a scientist.
- Iggo, A. (2006). "Autar Singh Paintal. 24 September 1925 -- 21 December 2004: Elected FRS 1981". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 52: 251–262. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2006.0018. PMID 18543474.
- Edited by DP Burma,, Maharani Chakravorty (2011). From Physiology and Chemistry to Biochemistry. Pearson Education India. p. 163. ISBN 9788131732205.
- Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 49 (2): 247–250. 2005. PMID 16247944. Missing or empty
- A.S. Paintal — a celebrated physiologist
- "Autar Singh Paintal, MBBS, MD, PhD (1925-2004)". The American Physiological Society. Retrieved 2006-09-01.
- Obituary from Indian Journal of Chest Diseases and Allied Sciences
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|