|This article reads like a news release, or is otherwise written in an overly promotional tone. (August 2012)|
|Traded as||TASE: CYRN NASDAQ: CYRN|
|Headquarters||McLean, VA, USA|
|Key people||Lior Samuelson (CEO),
Lior Kohavi (CTO)
Web Application Security,
|Revenue||US$ 23.91 million (2012)|
|Operating income||$ 0.78 million (2012)|
|Profit||$ 1.49 million (2012)|
CYREN is an Internet security technology company founded in 1991. The company is headquartered in McLean, VA, USA, with subsidiaries in Herzliya, Israel, Berlin, Germany and Reykjavík, Iceland. Commtouch is a public company and its shares are traded on NASDAQ and the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange. The company's shares are included in the TA BlueTech-50 Index.
In January 2014 Commtouch rebranded and became CYREN.
Commtouch’s cloud-based (cloud computing) patented Recurrent Pattern Detection (RPD), a type of checksum-based filtering, and GlobalView technologies work together for format- and language-agnostic[disambiguation needed] protection against spam and malware.
The technology automatically analyzes billions of Internet transactions per day to identify new threats. Based on these patterns, Commtouch identifies new spam and malware outbreaks as they occur.
Products and technologies
Commtouch key products include:
- CYREN WebSecurity
- CYREN EmailSecurity
- Virus Outbreak Detection
- Embedded URL Filtering
- Zombie IP address Feed 
- Outbound AntiSpam
- Recurrent Pattern Detection (RPD)
- IP Reputation
Commtouch was founded in 1991 by Nahum Sharfman, Gideon Mantel and Amir Lev. Mr. Mantel served as the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the board, and retired in December 2010. Isabel Maxwell served as its North American President from 1997-2001,  during which time the company successfully debuted on Nasdaq. (List of Israeli companies quoted on the Nasdaq) When Mr. Sharfman stepped down from the executive team of the company he remained active as a board member. He died in a light aircraft crash in Greece on April 28, 2009.
In 2010, Commtouch acquired the Command Antivirus division of Authentium. In Summer of 2012, Commtouch acquired FRISK, makers of F-Prot Antivirus. Friðrik Skúlason, founder of FRISK joined Commtouch as the vice-president of Antivirus technologies. In the Fall of 2012 Commtouch acquired the German company eleven GmbH, makers of the eXpurgate antispam solution. Robert Rothe, founder of eleven joined Commtouch as the Chief Technology Officer but left the company shortly thereafter. He was replaced by Lior Kohavi 
As of 2014 Commtouch operates under the Name CYREN.
- "Commtouch is now CYREN".
- "METANET Adopts Commtouch Anti-Spam Technology".
- "Commtouch Expands its Cloud Infrastructure with Launch of Washington, DC Detection Center.".
- "Commtouch leverages the cloud for URL filtering".
- "Global Spammer Websites".
- "Internet Threat Trends Report".
- "Commtouch Anti-spam".
- "GlobalView URL Filtering".
- "Internet Threat Trends Report".
- "Commtouch RPD Technology".
- "IP Reputation Service Based on Global Real-Time Data".
- "Commtouch launches three-tiered security technology".
- "Profile-CommTouch Software Ltd. (NasdaqNM:CTCH)".
- "Commtouch Company Listing on Yahoo! Finance".
- "Commtouch to Dual List on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange".
- "Commtouch Company Listing on Google finance".
- "Company Uncovered: Commtouch (Nasdaq: CTCH)".
- "Authentium Command Acquisition FAQ".
- "The Register, Commtouch gulps down Icelandic anti-virus pioneer FRISK".
- "Comtouch press release, Commtouch acquires eleven GmbH".
- "Commtouch Names Lior Kohavi as New CTO".