From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up authority in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Authority may refer to:
- Authority (management), formal or legitimate, specified in a charter
- Authority (sociology), the legitimate or socially approved use of power
- Authority (textual criticism), its reliability as a witness to the author's intentions
- Appeal to authority, type of argument in logic
- Authority control, term used in library and information science
- High Authority (disambiguation), refers to several executive organizations or branches
- Police authority (UK), body charged with securing efficient and effective control of a territorial police area
- Public authority, a government chartered corporation such as a transit authority
- The Palestinian National Authority, the administrative organization established to govern the West Bank and Gaza Strip as a consequence of the 1994 Oslo Accords.
- The Authority, superhero comic book published by DC Comics, under the Wildstorm imprint, debuting in 1999
- The Authority, listed in characters of His Dark Materials, who debuts in the 2000 novel The Amber Spyglass
- The Authority, used by the autonomous council of vampire hierarchs in The Southern Vampire Mysteries novels and the TV series True Blood based off the novels.
- The Authority (professional wrestling), a faction in WWE to refer the couple of Triple H and Stephanie McMahon.
- Authority (Southern Reach Trilogy), a 2014 book by Jeff VanderMeer, the second book in the Southern Reach trilogy.
- Authority, a grading of a blog's worthiness, used by Technorati
- one of two scores assigned by the HITS algorithm, a scheme used for ranking web pages (also known as "Hubs and authorities")
- Authoritarian personality, influential theory, developed in a 1950 book, by several UC Berkeley psychologists
- Authoritarianism, describes a form of government characterized by an emphasis on the authority of the state in a republic or union
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.