|Headquarters||American Fork, Utah, USA|
Authorize.Net is a payment gateway service provider allowing merchants to accept credit card and electronic check payments through their Web site and over an IP (Internet Protocol) connection. Authorize.Net claims a user base of over 350,000 merchants, which would make them the Internet's largest payment gateway service provider.
The company was founded by Jeff Knowles in 1996.
In November 2007 Cybersource purchased Authorize.Net for $565 million. Authorize.Net was originally purchased in 2004 by Lightbridge for $82 Million. In 2011, Authorize.net's parent company, CyberSource, was acquired by Visa.
Authorize.Net's large user base makes them an ideal target for hackers and extortionists. In September 2004, Authorize.Net's servers were hit by a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack. The DDoS attack lasted for over one week and caused a virtual shut down of the payment gateway's service. The attackers demanded money from Authorize.net in exchange for stopping the attack.
On July 2, 2009, 11pm, the entire web infrastructure for Authorize.net (main website, merchant gateway website, etc.) went offline and stayed down all morning July 3, 2009. None of the over 200,000 merchants who use Authorize.net payment gateway were able to process credit cards. Authorize.net's phone numbers were closed July 3 because of the July 4th holiday as previously announced on their website (though the website was down at the time). Other companies that have nearby offices have reported to the media that there was a fire. Authorize.net started a Twitter account that morning, but did not update their phones to give notice to customers until July 5 when they reopened phones.
- Payment processor fears credit card crooks April 3, 2006
- Credit card firm cuts off nation's No. 1 gun store - for selling guns September 26, 2013
- "CyberSource to Buy Authorize.Net in $565M Deal". eWeek.com. 2007-06-19. Retrieved 2007-06-19.
- "Lightbridge Acquires Authorize.Net". TelephonyOnline. 2004-03-08. Retrieved 2004-03-08.
- "Hack Attack Gums Up Authorize.Net". Wired.com. 2004-09-21. Retrieved 2004-09-21.
- Fire disrupts stations at Seattle's Fisher Plaza Friday, July 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Seattle Times
- https://account.authorize.net/UI/themes/MintAnnouncement.htm . Retrieved July 6, 2009. See "24 June 2009" announcement. Announcements will eventually expire.
- https://account.authorize.net/UI/themes/MintAnnouncement.htm . Retrieved July 6, 2009. See "3 July 2009" and "4 July 2009" announcements. Announcements will eventually expire.
- Bedard, Paul. "Credit card firm cuts off nation's No. 1 gun store - for selling gun". The Washington Examiner. Retrieved 09/28/2013.