Automatic Data Processing
|Traded as||NASDAQ: ADP
S&P 500 Component
|Founded||Paterson, New Jersey (1949)|
|Headquarters||Roseland, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Key people||Leslie A. Brun (Chairman) Carlos Rodriguez (President & CEO)|
|Services||Human resource, payroll, tax and benefits administration solutions from a single source|
|Revenue||$10.66 billion (2012)|
|Operating income||$2.122 billion (2012)|
|Net income||$1.388 billion (2012)|
|Total assets||$30.81 billion (2012)|
|Total equity||$6.114 billion (2012)|
Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP), is an American provider of business outsourcing solutions. It is also a provider of computing services to automobile and heavy equipment dealers. ADP is one of four U.S. companies to get a AAA credit rating from Standard & Poor's (S&P) and Moody's.
In 1949 Henry Taub founded Automatic Payrolls, Inc. as a manual payroll processing business with his brother Joe Taub. Frank Lautenberg joined the brothers in the company's infancy. In 1952, Lautenberg became Chairman and CEO of the company. In 1957, the company changed its name to Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP), and began using punched card machines, check printing machines, and mainframe computers. ADP went public in 1961 with 300 clients, 125 employees and revenues of approximately $400,000. The company established a subsidiary in the United Kingdom in 1965 and acquired the pioneering online computer services company, Time Sharing Limited (TSL) in 1974. Lautenberg continued in his roles as Chairman and CEO until elected to the United States Senate from New Jersey in 1982.
From 1985 onward, ADP’s annual revenues exceeded the $1 billion mark, with paychecks processed for about 10% of the U.S. workforce. In the 1990s ADP began acting as a professional employer organization (PEO). Around this time, the company acquired Autonom, a German company, Kerridge Computer Co. Ltd., a dealer management systems (DMS) provider to auto dealers in the UK, and the payroll and human resource services company, GSI, headquartered in Paris.
In 2007, the ADP Brokerage Service Group was spun off to form Broadridge Financial Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: BR), removing about $2 billion from ADP's total yearly revenue. ADP distributed one share of Broadridge common stock for every four shares of ADP common stock held by shareholders of record as of the close of business on March 23, 2007.
ADP is sponsor of the ADP National Employment Report as well as the ADP Small Business Report.
Dealer Services provides integrated technology services and solutions to about 25,000 automotive dealerships internationally, as well as vehicle manufacturers. In 2010, ADP acquired the automotive marketing company Cobalt.
- ADP was recently listed as #47 on Computerworld's 19th annual list of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT 2012.
- ADP achieved a 100 percent rating in the 2011 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) report.
- In 2010, ADP was awarded the #2 ranking in the Training Top 125 List by Training magazine. ADP ranked 12th in 2009 and 20th in 2008.
- In 2009 the Aberdeen Group named ADP as one of the top 25 Most Influential Technology Vendors for 2009.
- ADP ranked first on Fortune's 2010 list of America’s Most Admired Companies within the Financial Data Services category.
- In 2006, ADP ranked #2 on InformationWeek 500's top 250 Innovators.
- In 2003, 2004, and 2005, ADP was ranked as one of the top 10 companies in North America, having been AAA/Aaa rated by both S&P and Moody's.
- "Automatic Data Processing 2012 Annual Report, Form 10-K, Filing Date August 20, 2012". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Dec 26, 2012.
- Rooney, Ben (February 5, 2010). "Buffett's Berkshire loses top S&P credit rating". CNN.
- [httdr/ghkjagkjha p://www.adp.com/careers/who-is-adp/history.aspx ADP History]
- "Ministers under fire over licence errors". Highbeam Business. 4 February 1999.
- "Automatic Data Processing March 2007 Current Report, Form 8-K, Filing Date March 21, 2007". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Dec 26, 2012.
- "Automatic Data Processing April 2007 Current Report, Form 8-K, Filing Date April 04, 2007". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Dec 26, 2012.
- "ADP Dealer Services Group". BusinessWeek.
- Sean Wolfington. AutoSuccess Magazine. Retrieved March 6, 2007.
- Auto Success magazine (pg. 8-10).
- Cliff Banks (April 1, 2006). "ADP Bolsters Website Efforts By Buying BZ". WardsAuto.com.
- "Training Top 125: 2010".
- "Training Top 125: 2009" (pdf).
- "InformationWeek 500: Top 250 Innovators" (pdf). 2006-09-11. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- Automatic Data Processing (ADP) 2003 Summary Annual Report (pg. 6)
- Automatic Data Processing (ADP) 2004 Summary Annual Report (pg. 14)
- Automatic Data Processing (ADP) 2005 Summary Annual Report (pg. 6)
- Automatic Data Processing home page
- ADP Canada home page
- Interview with Frank Lautenberg from Charles Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota. Lautenberg helped co-found the early payroll services firm Automatic Data Processing Incorporated and served as both Chairman and CEO.
- ADP SEC Filings