White Tiger (Ava Ayala)
|First appearance||Avengers Academy #20 (Dec 2011)|
|Created by||Christos Gage
|Alter ego||Ava Ayala|
|Team affiliations||Avengers Academy
Heroes for Hire
|Abilities||Superhuman martial arts skills and slightly superhuman physical attributes via mystical amulets
White Tiger (Ava Ayala) is a fictional character, a superhero from Marvel Comics created by Christos Gage and Tom Raney, first appearing in Avengers Academy #20 (December 2011). Ava is the fifth character to assume the mantle of White Tiger and is the younger sister of the first White Tiger, Hector Ayala.
Ava Ayala first appeared in Avengers Academy #20 (December 2011) and was created by Christos Gage and Tom Raney. She appeared as a regular character in the series through its final issue, #39 (January 2013). She will appear as a main character in Mighty Avengers starting with issue #1 (September 2013).
Fictional character biography
Ava, the fifth White Tiger is the sister of Hector Ayala and a student enrolled in the Avengers Academy. Upon her introduction, Ava states the White Tiger is a family legacy that she intends to honor. She also criticizes classmate Reptil for not being more active in the Hispanic community. She has been living with her sister Awilda's family since the death of her parents.
During the Infinity storyline, White Tiger was seen with Heroes for Hire when they were seen preventing Plunderer's men from stealing robot parts. When the Superior Spider-Man stops Plunderer and considers the Heroes for Hire team as mercenaries, White Tiger ends up quitting the team.
Marvel Universe vs The Avengers
In the limited series, Marvel Universe vs The Avengers, Ava Ayala was this version's White Tiger and was one of the remaining four survivors of the Avengers Academy, along with Mettle, Veil, and Striker. While each of them are infected, Ava, along with the remaining Avengers and students wear a Doomstone collar that prevents the virus from taking hold of them fully, while discussing Doctor Doom's motives. After it was revealed that the Doomstones allows the wearer to maintain their humanity while still remain as cannibals, Doom activates the Doomstone, turning it red and allowing the virus to take over. Ava was among those killed while in a fight with the infected Red Hulk and the remaining infected students.
In other media
- The Ava Ayala version of White Tiger appears in Ultimate Spider-Man, voiced by Caitlyn Taylor Love. She is seen on the same team as Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Power Man and Nova. Paul Dini, the show's creative consultant stated, "We wanted a young female voice on the team and while she is new, White Tiger proved to be the perfect choice. She's tough and smart, and her cat-like reflexes allow her to match Spider-Man leap for leap in agility. It's important to her that she excels at everything she does, as she plans on leaving the team someday as a full super heroine in her own right". In the season two episode "Kraven the Hunter", it is revealed that Ava's father was the previous White Tiger, rather than her brother until he was killed in a fight with Kraven the Hunter. Eventually, Kraven came after Ava, the current keeper of the amulet, but unlike with Ava, its raw feral power proved too much for him to keep under control, and following a harrowing transformation into a humanoid white tiger, he met defeat by Spider-Man and Ava.
- Avengers Academy #21 (November 2011)
- Avengers Academy #24 (January 2012)
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #1
- Marvel Universe vs The Avengers #03 (February 2013)
- Marvel Universe vs The Avengers #04 (March 2013)