Avalanche (1978 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Corey Allen|
|Produced by||Roger Corman|
|Written by||Corey Allen
Gavin Lambert as "Claude Pola"
|Based on||story by Frances Doel|
|Music by||William Kraft|
|Edited by||Larry Bock
|Distributed by||New World Pictures|
|August 30, 1978|
Avalanche is a 1978 American disaster film, directed by Corey Allen and starring Rock Hudson, Robert Forster, Mia Farrow and Jeanette Nolan. The taglines for the film included "A Winter Wonderland Becomes A Nightmare Of Destruction" and "Six Million Tons Of Icy Terror."
The film is listed in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book The Official Razzie Movie Guide as one of The 100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made.
- Rock Hudson — David Shelby
- Robert Forster — Nick Thorne
- Mia Farrow — Caroline Brace
- Jeanette Nolan — Florence Shelby
- Rick Moses — Bruce Scott
- Steve Franken — Henry McDade
- Barry Primus — Mark Elliott
- Cathy Paine — Tina Elliott
- Jerry Douglas — Phil Prentiss
The film was originally budgeted at $6.5 million but producer Roger Corman cut it before production. It was directed by Corey Allen who had previously made Thunder and Lightning for Corman. Allen rewrote Gavin Lambert's script extensively and received a script credit. (Lamber later claimed Allen "dewrote" the script.)
However Allen was unhappy with the budget cuts and stated that "I don't feel the aims of the film were fulfilled... there were heavy pressures on Paul [line producer Paul Rapp] to bring the film in ahead of schedule, and these I feel were detrimental to the film."
- Christopher T Koetting, Mind Warp!: The Fantastic True Story of Roger Corman's New World Pictures, Hemlock Books. 2009 p 143
- IMDb - Movie connections
- Wilson, John (2005). The Official Razzie Movie Guide: Enjoying the Best of Hollywood's Worst. Grand Central Publishing. ISBN 0-446-69334-0.
- THE YOUNG DIRECTORS: WHO IS USING WHOM? Goldstone, Patricia. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 17 Dec 1978: o6.
- IMDb - Filming locations
|This article about a 1970s action film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|