Dave Baxter of Avalanche City
|Origin||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Labels||Warner Music New Zealand|
Avalanche City is the moniker of folk musician Dave Baxter from Auckland, New Zealand. He is best known for his 2011 New Zealand No. 1 single "Love, Love, Love" and his 2015 single "Inside Out", which also charted at No. 1. In 2011, Dave Baxter was awarded the APRA Silver Scroll and nominated for three New Zealand Music Awards, including Breakthrough Artist of the Year, Song of the Year and Album of the Year.
Baxter began playing guitar at age nine and during his teens he performed in the bands One Must Fall and The Chase. He studied at Waikato Institute of Technology in Hamilton, graduating in 2005 with a Bachelor of Media Arts (Commercial Music).
Our New Life Above the Ground
In late 2009 Baxter left his job as a music writer and began recording bands in his own studio. He also began to write songs, practice singing, and create his own melodies. After performing his songs for friends, Baxter started Avalanche City and began touring with other musicians. He eventually decided to record the album Our New Life Above the Ground at Kourawhero Hall and offered it as a free download from Avalanche City's official website. Initial response to the album was extremely positive and the song "Love, Love, Love" was picked up by the local New Zealand TV station TV2 TV2 for their station promos. After this point the song placed on the New Zealand singles chart.
The album Our New Life Above the Ground was then re-released and sold well, placing number 4 on the official national albums chart and achieving gold status.
|Year||Album details||Peak positions||Certifications|
|2011||Our New Life Above the Ground
|2015||We Are for the Wild Places
|Year||Album details||Peak positions|
|2011||"Love Love Love"||1||49||
||Our New Life Above the Ground|
|"Ends in the Ocean"||—||—|
||We Are for the Wild Places|
|2011||"Love Love Love"||Josh Smith||Official video|
|"Ends in the Ocean"||Jefferton James||Official video|
|"You and I"||Jefferton James||Official video|
|"Sunset"||Kyle Eaton||Official video|
Awards and nominations
|2011||APRA Silver Scroll Awards||"Love, Love, Love"||Silver Scroll Award||Won|
|New Zealand Music Awards||"Love, Love, Love"||Single of the Year||Nominated|
|Our New Life Above Ground||Album of the Year||Nominated|
|Avalanche City||Breakthrough Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|2012||APRA Silver Scroll Awards||"Love, Love, Love"||Most Performed Work in New Zealand||Won|
- "charts.org.nz - New Zealand charts portal". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- "Chartifacts – Week Commencing: 26th September 2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. 26 September 2011. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "charts.org.nz - New Zealand charts portal". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Chartifacts - Week Commencing: 8th August 2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. 8 August 2011. Archived from the original on 9 August 2011. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "New Zealand single certifications". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Love Love Love on YouTube
- "Ends In The Ocean on YouTube". Youtube.com. 18 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-26.