|LGA(s)||City of Greater Geelong|
Avalon (post code: 3212) is a locality situated north east of Geelong, Victoria. Its local government area is the City of Greater Geelong and its Ward is Windermere. It is located on the northern shore of Corio Bay to the southwest of the state's capital city of Melbourne.
Avalon is notable for Avalon Airport, which is the new home base of the budget domestic airline Jetstar Airways and the site of the biennial Avalon International Airshow, the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere. Although located on the outskirts of Geelong, the airport effectively operates as a second airport for the much larger city of Melbourne.
Avalon Raceway (also known as Avalon Speedway) is a dirt track racing venue located in the area.
In 2010 the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport was granted funding for a feasibility study to build a world class motorsports facility in the area, with the $200 million race circuit intended to become the home of the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix after the contract to host the race at Albert Park expires in 2015.
Major industry in the area includes a factory producing concrete railway sleepers, and the Cheetham Saltworks.
- Mickey News: Avalon to take the Mickey under Fox plan for Disney park
- David Hastie (February 28, 2010). "Avalon bid for Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix". Sunday Herald Sun. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Airline Jetstar to be based in Avalon." The Sydney Morning Herald. 25 February 2004. Retrieved on 9 April 2010.
- "Corporate addresses." Jetstar Airways. Retrieved on 12 August 2009.
- "Jetstar to fly from Avalon: report." The Age. 24 February 2004. Retrieved on 9 April 2010.
- "Family Competitions | Jetstar". jetstar.com. 2011 [last update]. Retrieved 7 November 2011. "The promoter is Jetstar Airways Pty Limited (ABN 33 069 720 243) of Level 4, 222 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000"
|This article about a location in Victoria, Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|