Avalon University School of Medicine
|Avalon University School of Medicine|
|Xavier University School of Medicine (2003-2010)|
|Chancellor||Shokat Fatteh, MD|
|Dean||Sireesha Bala Arja, MD|
Avalon University School of Medicine (AUSOM) (previously Xavier University School of Medicine in Bonaire) is a for-profit medical school located in Willemstad, Curaçao, in the Caribbean. AUSOM confers upon its graduates the Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. Administrative offices for the university are located in Youngstown, Ohio.
AUSOM was founded in 2003 in Bonaire in the Netherlands Antilles (now known as the Caribbean Netherlands) as the Xavier University School of Medicine. In 2010, the university relocated to Curacao and changed its name to Avalon University School of Medicine to differentiate itself from other universities with the same name.
The curriculum for the Doctor of Medicine degree spans four years. First- and second-year students study basic science courses on the Curacao campus. Third-year students attend an 8-week course at the admissions office in Youngstown, Ohio for orientation in clinical studies, preparation for the USMLE Step 1 examination and an overview of US residency application. Students who pass the USMLE exam spend the final 18 months in clinical clerkships in the United States, including 24 weeks of elective clerkships for fourth-year students.
Avalon University School of Medicine states that it is chartered by the Ministry of Education of Curacao to offer an MD degree. AUSOM is listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and in the AVICENNA Directory for medicine.
AUSOM has also submitted a request for accreditation by the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions.
- "Xavier University School of Medicine Bonaire Announces Name Change and Relocation". Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Accreditation". avalonu.org. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- "School Details". International Medical Education Directory. Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- "Avalon University School of Medicine: Curacao". AVICENNA Directory for Medicine. University of Copenhagen. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- "Upcoming Site Visits and Accreditation Requests...". caam-hp.org. Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions. July 20, 2011. Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-01.