|• Mayor of District||Manvel Javadian|
|• Total||8.37 km2 (3.23 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 est.)|
|Time zone||UTC (UTC+4)|
Avan (Armenian: Ավան) is a district in the Armenian capital Yerevan. With an estimated population of 51,000, Avan forms the northern gate of Yerevan. It is located on the hills north of the Nor Nork district and east of Kanaker. Avan has common borders with the districts of Arabkir and Kanaker-Zeytun from the east and the district of Nor Nork from the south. It is bordered by the Kotayk Province from the north and west.
The district is commonly divided into three smaller neighbourhoods: Avan, Avan-Arinj and Aghi Hank.
Avan was originally founded as a satellite town north of Yerevan. With the gradual growth of Yerevan, Avan was eventually absorbed by the Armenian capital to become one of the 12 districts of the city.
Avan is known as the most environmentally clean area of the capital Yerevan.
Streets and parks
- Hrachya Acharyan street
- Nver Safarian street
- Marshal Sergei Khudyakov street
- Marshal Babajanian street
- Yevgeny Vakhtangov street
- Dushanbe street
- Almaty street
- Yerevan Botanical Garden
- Avan park
- Family park
History, religion and education
- Katoghike Tsiranavor Church of Avan, 6th century
- The medieval chapels of Surp Hovhannes and the Holy Mother of God
- Church of the Holy Mother of God, Avan
- Financial-Banking College
Sports and recreation
- Yerevan Football Academy
- Football Academy Stadium
- Play City amusement park
- Avan district at GEOnet Names Server
- Report of the results of the 2001 Armenian Census, National Statistical Service of the Republic of Armenia