|Pandora: The Land of Avatar|
|Location||Disney's Animal Kingdom|
|Opening date||late 2015 - early 2017|
Pandora: The Land of Avatar is a themed area currently being constructed in the south-west end of Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park in Florida. It will be based upon the world created in James Cameron's film franchise. Construction began on January 10, 2014, with the land expected to open in early 2017.
In Spring 2011, James Cameron was approached by The Walt Disney Company's chief executive officer, Bob Iger, regarding the possibility of Avatar-themed attractions in Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. On September 17, 2011, a long-term exclusivity deal was signed between Disney, James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and 20th Century Fox. This deal was officially announced to the public on September 20, 2011, on the Disney Parks Blog. The highlight of the announcement was that Disney's Animal Kingdom would receive a new themed area dubbed Avatar Land. The area is set to cost approximately $500 million. Construction began in January of 2014, with a planned opening date between 3 and 5 years later. The deal could see Avatar attractions added to other Disney theme parks in the future, however, there are no immediate plans to do so.
Avatar Land is designed by Walt Disney Imagineering with Avatar producers James Cameron and Jon Landau also providing creative assistance. The area will be an immersive world based upon the fictional exoplanetary moon, Pandora and will include Pandora's floating mountains and bioluminescent plants. Avatar Land is expected to span several acres and will feature multiple rides and attractions, entertainment, audio-animatronics, 3-D holograms as well as retail, food and beverage outlets. Although exact details of the attractions have not yet been announced or even devised, James Cameron confirmed that a flying attraction featuring "3-D projections and creature designs that were cut from the original film" was a concept on the drawing board for the area. Avatar Land will include elements from the original Avatar film as well as its three, yet-to-be-released sequels.
- A flying E ticket simulator attraction, where guests will learn to fly with a mountain Banshee.
- A boat ride attraction showcasing the native fauna and flora of Pandora. It may include small drops.
Avatar Land is being built in the former location of Camp Minnie-Mickey, which was originally earmarked for the Beastly Kingdom, a never-built themed land which would have been based around mythological creatures and which is also now closed forever.
- Cars Land, a themed land at California's Disney California Adventure Park
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, a themed land at Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park
- Staggs, Tom. "First Look: AVATAR to Come to Life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom". The Walt Disney Company. The Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Cody, Anthony (22 September 2011). "Disney to build Avatar attractions at its theme parks". The Telegraph. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Smith, Thomas. "Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom". The Walt Disney Company. The Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Staggs, Tom (20 September 2011). "Answering Your Questions About AVATAR at Disney Parks". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Associated Press (21 September 2011). "Disney to Build 'Avatar' Attraction in Theme Parks". Fox News. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Chmielewski, Dawn C.; Keegan, Rebecca (21 September 2011). "Disney to license rights to 'Avatar' for theme park attractions". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Chmielewski, Dawn C.; MacDonald, Brady (20 September 2011). "Details emerge on Disney's plans to bring 'Avatar' to its parks". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Smith, Thomas (20 September 2011). "AVATAR Coming To Disney Parks". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Australian Associated Press (22 September 2011). "Coming to Disney World: Avatar Land". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Weinstein, Joshua L. (21 September 2011). "James Cameron on 3D, "Titanic" and all things "Avatar"". Reuters. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Richwine, Lisa (21 September 2011). "Disney, Cameron to create theme-park "Avatar"". Reuters Canada. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Clark, Jayne (22 September 2011). "'Avatar' land is coming to Disney World". USA Today. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "'Avatar' attraction coming to Disney's theme parks". The Independent. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "What’s Next for Disney’s Animal Kingdom". The Walt Disney Company. Disney D23. 11 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Associated Press (21 June 1995). "Disney Plans Wild Animal Kingdom in Florida". The Journal Record. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- Official announcement at the Disney Parks Blog