Avaya IP Phone 1140E
|Avaya IP Phone 1140E|
Avaya IP Phone 1140E in telecommunications is a desktop Internet Protocol client manufactured by Avaya for unified communications. The phone can operate on the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) or UNIStim protocols. The SIP firmware supports presence selection and notification along with secure instant messaging. This device has an integrated 10/100/1000BASE-T auto-sensing Ethernet switch with two ports and an integrated USB port, and is Bluetooth capable. The SIP version of this phone has full IPv6 functionality and only requires 2.9 watts of power.
Notable awards and installations:
In 2005, this device won Best of Internet Telephony during the Interop Conference & Expo in Los Angeles, California.
Starting in 2008 with the wegde 4 renovation project, all the phones in The Pentagon (the world's largest office building) will be replaced with voice over IP phones, principally the 1140E. One of the quoted reasons was "Green IT" friendly.
In 2008 because of the very low power consumption of these devices, this phone was the IP device of choice contributing to the Palazzo Las Vegas getting recognized as the largest 'green' building in the world with a Silver LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certificate from the U.S. Green Building Council.
The 1100 series of phones was originally manufactured in 2008 as an evolution of the 2004 IP phone series phones from Nortel. As such it began as a UNIStim only phone which meant that the phone was primarily supported with only Nortel manufactured voice PBX systems.
In 2009 a firmware upgrade was made available to allow the phone to function on the SIP protocol. This meant that the phone could now be used with a wide variety of PBX systems including those produced by Nortel, Avaya and even open source PBX systems such as the Asterisk operating system.
In 2010 a VPN client was added to the firmware as of release 0623C7F. A remote worker location with a broadband Internet connection can use the phone's VPN capability to securely establish an IP tunnel back to the corporate network, extending a standard voice telephone extension to any location on the Internet. Other users in the global corporation can dial the user's extension as if it were on the local network.
- Avaya Government Solutions
- LG-Nortel IP Phone 8540
- Application Server 5300 (AS5300)
- Microsoft Office Communications Server
- Microsoft Office Communicator
- "Nortel SIP Firmware for IP Phone 1120E and IP Phone 1140E".
- Tolly Group Engineers (July 2008). "Converged Data Network Solution, Evaluation of Energy Consumption and Project Costs for a Converged LAN Campus, Data Center and WAN - Report # 208298". Tolly Enterprises, LLC. Retrieved 31 Aug 2011.
- "Nortel IP Phone 1100 Series Overview Presentation". 2005. Retrieved 5 Sep 2011.
- "Core Service". US Army Information Technology Agency. Retrieved 5 Sep 2011.
- "ITA Presents: VoIP Services". Telecommunications Service Washington. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- "Venetian, Palazzo 'spoil' guests with hospitality solution from Nortel; Unified communications platform helps keep staff productive, happy.". M2 Presswire. October 28, 2008.
Earlier this year, The Palazzo Las Vegas was recognized as the largest 'green' building in the world with a Silver LEED (Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design) Certificate from the U.S. Green Building Council. The Nortel hospitality solution for these three Sands properties includes Nortel's Communication Server 1000 for VoIP, CallPilot Unified Messaging, Contact Center 6.0, Hospitality Messaging Server 400 and up to 1,000 IP Phone 1140 Series desk sets.– via HighBeam (subscription required)
- Frohwerk, Dean; Edgett, Simon; Moore, Greg, Vancouver 2010 Winter Games: The most technologically advanced network in Olympic history, retrieved 9 Aug 2011
- Tim Greene. "Avaya hopes for gold in running the Olympic network". NetworkWorld. Retrieved 16 Feb 2010 and 5 August 2011. Check date values in:
- Read, Brendan B. (January 7, 2010), Avaya Takes Over Nortel's 2010 Winter Olympics Sponsorship, TMC News, retrieved 9 Aug 2011
- "Venue Telecommunications for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics". Bell. January 11, 2010.
- McNamara, Michael (June 17, 2010). "Avaya 1120e/1140e/1150e IP Phone SSH Access".
- Roebuck, Kevin (June 2011). Voice over IP (VoIP). Emereo Pty Ltd. pp. 31, 333–334. ISBN 978-1-74304-723-1.
- Tolly Group Engineers (September 2006). "Converged Network Infrastructure - Report # 206145". Tolly Enterprises, LLC.
- "Technical Specifications Nortel IP Phone 1140E". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 31 Aug 2011.
- VoIP Technologies. March 2008. ISBN 978-0-9801074-0-1.