A view of Avdella
|Administrative region:||West Macedonia|
|Population statistics (as of 2011)|
|- Area:||43.243 km2 (17 sq mi)|
|- Density:||6 /km2 (17 /sq mi)|
|Time zone:||EET/EEST (UTC+2/3)|
|Elevation (min-max):||1,250–1,350 m (4101–4429 ft)|
|Postal code:||510 32|
Avdella (Greek: Αβδέλλα; Aromanian: Avdhela) is a village and a former municipality in Grevena regional unit, West Macedonia, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform, it has been a municipal unit of Grevena. It is a seasonal Vlach (Aromanian) village in the Pindus mountains, at 1250–1350 metres altitude. Its summer population is about 3000, but in the winter there are only a few watchmen. The 2011 census recorded 280 inhabitants. It is notable as the birthplace of the Manakis brothers, and appears in the opening sequence of the film Ulysses' Gaze. The community of Avdella covers an area of 43.243 km2.
The first foundation of Avdella remains unknown. Perhaps it was connected to the creation of settlements on the mountain range of Smolikas with the delivery of veterinary surgeon activity of region.[clarification needed] In the beginning, Vlach families created small family settlements which were fused and became a single settlement such as current Avdella. The foundation and the growth of Avdella is associated with the rise of livestock-farming taking into account the pastoral habits of the locals. Before 1800, the village was situated in the "Fantines", but the residents, mostly large families of Vlach shepherds moved to the current position due to better climate.
Some authors claim that Avdela was a center of pro-Romanian sentiment in the beginning of the 20th century. It is said to have been burned in October 1905 by Greek antartes because of this. Others claim it was a stronghold of Greek nationalism, contributing leaders such as Zisis Verros and Ioannis Hatzigiannis to the Greek forces in the Macedonian Struggle.
On 14 July 1944, the village was burned again by a group of German Nazis, during their retreat.
- Yanaki and Milton Manaki, photography and cinema pioneers
- Apostol Mărgărit, Aromanian educator and activist
- "Detailed census results 2011" (xls 2,7 MB). National Statistical Service of Greece. (Greek)
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
- Πίνακας 3. Πραγματικός πληθυσμός, επιφάνεια και πυκνότητα του πληθυσμού, με διάκριση σε αστικές και αγροτικές περιοχές καθώς και σε πεδινές, ημιορεινές και ορεινές περιοχές. Μέσος σταθμικός των υψομέτρων. (in Greek). Ελληνική Στατιστική Αρχή (Hellenic Statistical Authority). Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Ласку, Стоjка. Од историjaта на ароманскиот печат во Македониjа. Списаниjата "Братство" и "Светлина", Скопjе 2007, с. 122
- Христо Силянов. „Освободителните борби на Македония“, том IІ, стр.264.
- Ιωάννης Σ. Κολιόπουλος (επιστημονική επιμέλεια), Αφανείς, γηγενείς Μακεδονομάχοι, Εταιρεία Μακεδονικών Σπουδών, University Studio Press, Θεσσαλονίκη, 2008, σελ. 20
- Επίτομο Γεωγραφικό Λεξικό της Ελλάδος (Geographical Dictionary of Greece), Μιχαήλ Σταματελάτος, Φωτεινή Βάμβα-Σταματελάτου, εκδ. Ερμής, ΑΘήνα 2001
|This West Macedonia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|