Tombstone in the old Fierville Church at Avenay
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Jean-Louis Lechevalier|
|• Land1||5.62 km2 (2.17 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||92/km2 (240/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||14034 / 14210|
|Elevation||35–120 m (115–394 ft)
(avg. 90 m or 300 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Avenay is located some 12 km south-west of Caen just east of Évrecy. Access to the commune is by the D36 road from Sainte-Honorine-du-Fay in the south-west which passes through the heart of the commune and the village and continues north to join the D8. Apart from the village there is the hamlet of La Coquerie on the eastern border. The commune consists entirely of farmland.
In 1827 Avenay (336 inhabitants in 1821) absorbed Fierville-en-Bessin (68 people) in the east of its territory.
List of Successive Mayors
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 519 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger communes that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
This table includes the population of Fierville-en-Bassin prior to 1827.
Sites and Monuments
- The Church of Mary of the Assumption (Reconstruction).
- Ruins of the Church of Fierville.
- The Chateau of Fierville (16th century).
- Pompierre Manor (15th century).
Activities and events
Each year, during the 3rd weekend in June, the Festival Committee of Avenay organises an inter-regional competition of bread.
The jury, composed of baking professionals and consumers, use many criteria of quality and presentation.
The results are announced on Sunday afternoon at the fair in the village. The fair begins with a snack of Tripe at 9 am which brings hundreds of gourmands. The day continues with Mass and an exceptional sale of gold tripe.
On this day, the bakers make bread and pastries using bakery equipment and ovens installed specially for the festival. Visitors can buy bread made before their eyes.
The school fair is also held on the same day. On this occasion the students of the school perform several Norman dances in traditional costumes.
- Avenay on Lion1906
- Avenay on Google Maps
- Avenay on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Avenay on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Avenay on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.