Avenida Presidente Masaryk
Avenida Presidente Masaryk (English: President Masaryk Avenue), a thoroughfare in the affluent Polanco neighborhood of Mexico City, is the city's most fashionable urban shopping street. It runs from Calzada General Mariano Escobedo in the east to Avenida Ferrocarril de Cuernavaca on the west.
Exclusive shopping street
Masaryk, as it is commonly called, is also one of the most expensive shopping districts in the world and competes with Avenida Madero downtown for the title of street with the highest rents in the city. Although it now faces competition from upscale shopping centers such as Centro Santa Fe, Arcos Lomas and Paseo Interlomas
- Brunello Cucunelli
- Dolce & Gabbana
- Ermenegildo Zegna
- Harmont & Blaine
- Hugo Boss
- La Perla
- Leo Fabio (Zilli y Stefano Ricci)
- Louis Vuitton
- Marina Rinaldi
- Massimo Dutti
- Pal Zileri
- Puma (marca)
- Roche Bobois
- Salvatore Ferragamo
- Studio F
- Tane (Mexican jewelry)
- Tiffany & Co.
- Tous (joyería)
President Lázaro Cárdenas named the avenue after the first President of Czechoslovakia, Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk in 1936. In 1999 the city of Prague donated a statue of Masaryk to Mexico City, one of the two originals made when the statue for the Prague Castle was being prepared. The statue was placed in the roundabout at the intersection of Av. Presidente Masaryk and Arquímedes on 28 October 2000, on the Czechoslovak National Day.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (September 2013)|
The name of the street is often misspelled e.g. "Mazarik" or "Mazaryk". The city of Mexico decided to correct the signs under its control in 2000 (street, highway and other signs), but the incorrect names remained on some of the local shops.
- Pedro Romero. Night+Day Mexico City. p. 56.
- Lida, David (2008). First Stop In The New World. Riverhead Trade. ISBN 1-59448-378-7.
- Nallely Ortigoza (November 21, 2012). "Disputa calle Madero negocios a Masaryk: Compite en precio con la avenida comercial de Polanco" [Calle Madero vies for business with Masaryk: it competes in price with Polanco's shopping street]. Reforma.
- http://www.mzv.cz/public/60/43/b3/144368_14893_odhaleni.jpg Photo of the unveiling by the President of the City Government Rosario Robles and the Lord Mayor of the City of Prague Jan Kasl