|Type||Privately held company|
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Genre||Massively multiplayer online role-playing games|
|Founder(s)||Zad El Mehdawi, Tasos Flambouras, Spiros Iordanis|
|Key people||Claus Grovdal (Game Design)
Vangelis Kalaitzis (Game Design)
Al Stellakis (Writing)
Henning Ludvigsen (Art Director)
Ricki Sickenger (Game Logic)
Kjetil Helland (Lead Programmer)
Erik Sperling Johansen (Lead Server Programmer)
Thanasis Nikolopoulos (Programming)
Jon Massey (Programming)
|Products||Darkfall, Darkfall Unholy Wars|
|Website||Aventurine SA homepage|
Aventurine SA is a Greek independent video game developer and publisher founded in 2003, located in Athens, Greece. They are the developers of Darkfall, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game, also known as Darkfall Online.
In July 2000 Claus Grovdal, Kjetil Helland and Ricki Sickenger founded Razorwax AS in Oslo, Norway for the purpose of making online games. Soon they were joined by Erik Sperling Johansen and Henning Ludvigsen and in August 2001, they announced the development of Darkfall.
In 2002 the group relocated to join Zad El Mehdawi, Tasos Flambouras and Spiros Iordanis and found Aventurine SA in Athens, Greece, in order to continue developing Darkfall.
Darkfall Unholy Wars
Aventurine's core technology consists of their real-time 3D engine.
Aventurine participates in formal research initiatives in order to benefit from the collaborative research networks supported by European Union Frameworks. Some examples include:
- Aventurine received development grants for Darkfall Online by the Hellenic Ministry of Development related to law 3299/2004 (Private Investment for Economic Growth and Regional Convergence)
- The project "Development, Marketing and Distribution of the Subscription-Based Online Game Darkfall" was funded by the Information Society under Measure 4.3 "Advanced telecommunications services for the citizen", for the Action "Funding of Enterprises for Implementation of Advanced Broadband Services".
- The Hellenic Secretariat of Research and Technology funded Aventurine's research proposal for the design and development of next generation 3D engine technologies.
- Partner in a joint research proposal on Virtual Collaborative Environments with the University of Dublin, MIT's MediaLab Europe, Siemens, Fraunhofer-Gesellshcaft, and SINTEF Telecom and Informatics, under the EU Sixth Framework Programme's e-Inclusion research initiative.
- Partner in a joint research proposal on the development, validation and promotion of a standard file format designed to support the efficient reuse of 3D data. Other partners include the Politecnico di Torino, Samtech Group, GiugaroSPA, CSA Spain, University of Dresden, Octaga, Living Solids, Instituto Technologico de Catilla y Leon. The research was part of the EU's Specific Targeted Research Projects.
- "Darkfall Interview". Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Darkfall Developer Journal #1: About Adventurine". Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Past & Present Subscribers Play Free". Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Darkfall Unholy Wars Launch - April 16". Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Darkfall from Greece to Asia". Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Research". Retrieved 2013-04-11.