Dame Averil Millicent Cameron, DBE, FBA (born 8 February 1940) is Professor of Late Antique and Byzantine History in the University of Oxford, and was formerly the Warden of Keble College, Oxford, between 1994 and 2010.
She was previously Professor of Ancient History (1978–89) and Professor of Late Antique and Byzantine Studies (1989–94), at King's College London. At Oxford, she is Chair of the Advisory Committee on Honorary Degrees and also sits on committees for Conflict of Interest, Select Preachers, and the Wainwright Fund.
Her commitments beyond the University include:
- Chair, Cathedrals Fabric Commission for England (1999-2005)
- Chair, Institute of Classical Studies Advisory Council
- Vice-Chair of the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies
- President of the Ecclesiastical History Society
- President, Council for British Archaeology in the Levant
- President of the Fédération internationale des associations d'études classiques (since 2009)
- Chair, Prosopography of the Byzantine World (until 2005)
- Honorary Doctorates in Letters from the Universities of Warwick, St Andrews, Aberdeen and the Queen's University of Belfast
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London
- Fellow of the British Academy
- Fellow of the Ecclesiastical History Society
- Fellow of King's College London
- Agathias (Clarendon Press 1970), ISBN 0-19-814352-4
- Procopius and the Sixth Century (Duckworth 1985), ISBN 0-7156-1510-7
- Christianity and the Rhetoric of Empire: The Development of Christian Discourse (University of California Press 1991), ISBN 0-520-07160-3
- The Later Roman Empire, AD 284-430 (Fontana 1993), ISBN 0-00-686172-5
- The Mediterranean World in Late Antiquity, AD 395-600 (Routledge 1993), ISBN 0-415-01420-4
- Images of Women in Antiquity (rev. ed., Routledge 1993), ISBN 0-415-09095-4 (ed. with Amélie Kuhrt)
- The Cambridge Ancient History:
- Vol. 12: The Crisis of Empire, AD 193-337 (Cambridge University Press 2005), ISBN 0-521-30199-8 (2nd ed., ed. with Alan K. Bowman and Peter Garnsey)
- Vol. 13: The Late Empire, AD 337-425 (Cambridge University Press 1998), ISBN 0-521-30200-5 (ed. with Peter Garnsey)
- Vol. 14: Late Antiquity: Empires and Successors, AD 425-600 (Cambridge University Press 2000), ISBN 0-521-32591-9 (ed. with Bryan Ward-Perkins and Michael Whitby)
- The Byzantines (Blackwell 2006), ISBN 0-631-20262-5
- Dialoguing in Late Antiquity (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2014)
- "New Year Honours". Times. 6 January 2006. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- Donald MacLeod and Polly Curtis (31 December 2005). "Voices of education win New Year honours". Guardian. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- Averil Cameron (28 October 1994). "Past Masters". The Times. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- "Sir Jonathan Phillips elected new Warden of Keble". Keble College, Oxford. 11 October 2009. Archived from the original on 14 November 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Appointments". The Church Times. 29 July 2005. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- Lynne Williams (2 August 1996). "Honorary Degrees". Times. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- edited by Harriet Swain and researched by Lynne Williams (25 September 1998). "Glittering prizes". Times. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Glittering prizes". Times. 31 March 2000. Retrieved 19 December 2010.