(Public limited company)
|Traded as||LSE: AVV|
|Headquarters||High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK|
|Key people||Philip Aiken, (Chairman)
Richard Longdon, (CEO)
James Kidd, (CFO)
Derek Middlemas, (COO)
Dave Wheeldon, (CTO)
|Revenue||£220 million (2013)|
|Operating income||£77.5 million (2013)|
|Net income||£65 million (2013)|
AVEVA Group plc is a British multinational information technology company headquartered in Cambridge, United Kingdom. It provides engineering design, information management solutions, and CAD/CAM software; including specialised technology consulting services for the plant, power and marine industries. AVEVA grew out of the government funded Computer-Aided Design Centre which was established in 1967.
The origins of AVEVA starts in 1967 in Cambridge, UK; with the establishment of The Computer-Aided Design Centre or CADCentre as it was more commonly referred to, and later formally became. It was a government-funded research institute created by the UK Ministry of Technology, with a mission to develop computer-aided design techniques, and promote their take-up by British industry. Its first director was Arthur Llewelyn, who initially contracted out the recruitment and management of specialist staff to ICL.
The centre carried out much pioneering CAD research, and many of its early staff members went on to become prominent in the worldwide CAD community; such as brothers Dick Newell, and Martin Newell. Dick Newell oversaw the creation of the Plant Design Management System (PDMS) for 3D process plant design; and later co-founded two software companies – Cambridge Interactive Systems (CIS) which was known for its Medusa 2D/3D CAD system, and Smallworld with its eponymous Smallworld GIS (Geographical Information System). Martin Newell later went to the University of Utah where he did pioneering 3D solid modelling work; he was also one of the progenitors of PostScript.
Along with the Cambridge Science Park, CADCentre was one of the original companies involved in what became known as the Cambridge Phenomenon – the transformation of Cambridge from a University town into one of the world's high technology centres within a few years in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
- On 21 April 2004, the company acquired Tribon Solutions, a global supplier of Tribon, a IT solutions for shipbuilding and marine design for US$35 million. The acquisition was completed on 19 May 2004.
- On 31 March 2005, the company acquired Realitywave, Inc., developers of a web collaboration & streaming platform for £3.2 million.
- On 30 March 2009, AVEVA announced the acquisition of iDesignOffice Pty Ltd, an instrumentation engineering technology company based in Melbourne, Australia, specialising in products for plant and marine industries.
- On 3 June 2010, AVEVA Solutions Ltd, a wholly owned unit of AVEVA Group plc, announced the acquisition of Logimatic’s MARS business from Logimatic Holdings A/S for GBP12.8 million. This acquisition was completed on 30 June 2010 & MARS products and services were merged into AVEVA's Enterprise Solutions Group and aligned with its flagship AVEVA NET solution.
- On 3 June 2010, AVEVA Solutions Ltd acquired the oil and gas business from ADB Systemer AS, a Sola- based provider of operations integrity management software aimed at owner operators in the Oil and Gas industry.
- On 3 October 2011, AVEVA announced the acquisition of LFM (Light Form Modeller) software division of Z+F UK Limited allowing expansion into the 3D data capture market.
- On 23 May 2012, AVEVA announced the acquisition of the Belgium and Germany based Bocad group of companies ("Bocad") – a provider of Building information modeling (BIM) software for GBP14 million. The acquisition will strengthen AVEVA's 3D structural detailing capabilities for the plant, marine and construction markets.
- On 17 December 2012, AVEVA announced the acquisition of all assets relating to the advanced visualisation and simulation software of Global Majic Software, Inc (GMS).
- North America (based in Houston, United States)
- Latin America (based in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil)
- Asia Pacific (based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Europe, Middle East & Africa (based in Sulzbach, Germany)
Products and services
The plant solutions division develops and manages an integrated suite of products for engineering, design and design management of complex engineering projects in the oil & gas, process plant and power generation industries
The marine solutions division caters to the Shipbuilding & offshore industries. It develops and manages an integrated suite of products for engineering, design, production, maintenance and operation of complex ships and offshore vessels.
The enterprise solutions division provides specialised technology consulting services and manages enterprise-level software applications as well as related project management, management consulting services that deliver information management capabilities, across existing AVEVA products, third-party applications, or any combination of these.
Its flagship information management solution is AVEVA NET.
Marketing and branding
AVEVA marketing campaigns have the slogan "Continual Progression".
Recent leadership of the company has been:
- Chairman (Non-Executive):
- AVEVA Board of Directors
- AVEVA Executive Team
- Prelimiary Results 2013
- "About AVEVA Group plc". AVEVA. Archived from the original on 30 April 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "Exploding the Myths of UK Innovation Policy: How ‘Soft Companies’ and R&D Contracts for Customers Drive the Growth of the Hi-Tech Economy". aveva.com. January 2010. Retrieved 18 July 2012. by David Connell and Jocelyn Probert Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge
- "AVEVA Group History : 1967–1984". AVEVA. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "AVEVA – 3D with a difference | Cambridge-news.co.uk". Cambridge-news.co.uk. Retrieved 24 Oct 2011.
- "AVEVA Group History : 1985–1999". AVEVA. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "AVEVA Group History : 2000–2005". AVEVA. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Aveva buys Tribon for £19m". Citywire. 21 April 2004. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Viva Aveva!". Citywire. 18 May 2005. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Aveva acquires IDO software from iDesignoffice". The Engineer. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "AVEVA Acquires Logimatic's MARS Business and Oil and Gas Business of ADB Systemer AS". Desktop Engineering. 7 June 2010. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "AVEVA acquires the LFM software division of Z+F UK". ShareCast. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Innovation and Creativity with BOCAD Software". mssa.org.my. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "AVEVA acquires BOCAD". globalprintmonitor.info. 23 May 2012. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "AVEVA acquires Global Majic’s simulation software suite". mining.com. 17 December 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "AVEVA Celebrates its First 45 Years". 13 June 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Regional". AVEVA. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "AVEVA is capable of engineering some impressive returns". The Independent (UK). 28 May 2008. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "AVEVA GROWTH WILL GET NUCLEAR CHARGE". businessweekly.co.uk. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "AVEVA global expansion strategy in Latin America, China and India was on track.". Businessweekly.co.uk. UK. 25 May 2011. Retrieved 25 Oct 2011.
- "AVEVA Plant Solutions". AVEVA. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "AVEVA PDMS". AVEVA. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "AVEVA Marine Solutions". AVEVA. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "AVEVA Enterprise Solutions". AVEVA. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "AVEVA enables powerful information management solution, AVEVA NET ( CMCS Collaborate, Issue 31)". CMCS Collaborate. June 2011. Retrieved 25 Oct 2011.
- "AVEVA Board of Directors – Annual Report 2004". AVEVA. Retrieved 24 Oct 2011.
- "Richard King, CBE retires from AVEVA Board on 31 March 2006.". investegate.co.uk. Retrieved 24 Oct 2011.
- "Appointment of Nick Prest as Chairman | AVEVA Press release 12 January 2006". AVEVA. Retrieved 24 Oct 2011.
- "Press Release | AVEVA announces a change of Chairman". aveva.com. 26 April 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Richard Longdon Appointed Chief Executive, Cadcentre Group PLC | Investegate.co.uk 1 December 1999". Investegate.co.uk. Retrieved 24 Oct 2011.
- AVEVA – 3D with a difference | Cambridge-news.co.uk
- The Sunday Time -7 June 2010 AVEVA on technology challenges
- AVEVA global expansion strategy in Latin America, China and India on track.
- The Telegraph – 2 Oct 2011 AVEVA threatens to leave UK over 50p tax