Aviadvigatel OJSC (Russian: ОАО "Авиадвигатель") is a developer and builder of aero-engines for Ilyushin Il-76MF, Ilyushin Il-96, Tupolev Tu-204, Tupolev Tu-214, and other aircraft. It also designs and builds high-efficiency gas turbine units for electric power stations and for gas pumping plants.
Perm Motors Joint Stock Company (JSC), the founder of Perm motor constructors, was founded June 1, 1934 when an engine design and manufacturing factory was built at Perm Krai, Russia. The factory was originally known as OKB-19 - Soloviev, or the Soloviev Design Bureau.
The firm was headed by Arkady Dmitrievich Shvetsov from its foundation date in 1939. Starting in early 1950s the Company was headed by Pavel Alexandrovich Soloviev, Mr.Shvetsov's successor, and was engaged in development of new gas turbine engines. Since 1989, and up to June, 2001, with a break in 1995-1997, the enterprise was headed by Yuri Evgenievich Reshetnikov.
The first engine to be built at OKB-19 was a licensed variant of the Wright R-1820-F3 Cyclone 9, designated the Shvetsov M-25 radial engine. Other Shevtsoy designed piston engines produced at OKB-19 were the M-11, M-71 ASh-2, ASh-21, ASh-62, ASh-73 and ASh-82. In just four years OKB-19 was Russia's major manufacturer of aircraft engines.
During World War II the Plant exceeded its original design capacity by a factor of 12, producing more than 32,000 engines for Lavochkin La-5, Sukhoi Su-2 and Tupolev Tu-2s. In the 1950s the factory transitioned from piston engines to jet engines. The Plant has consolidated its positions and has become a regular partner and supplier of products for Tupolev, Ilyushin, Mikoyan, Mil, and Myasishchev.
Perm Engine Company was established in 1997 as a subsidiary of Perm Motors Company inheriting the gas turbine production facility and the rich traditions of the largest company of the West Ural. In June 2001 Alexander A. Inozemtsev, General Designer, became the General Director of Aviadvigatel Open Joint Stock Company (OJSC). Starting in October 2006 he was the Managing Director & General Designer.
In October 2003, "Perm Motors Group Management Company" was established to: 1) coordinate the corporative relations and management of the Perm Motors Group companies, 2) resolve strategic marketing matters 3) investment planning.
The company currently offers several versions of the Aviadvigatel PS-90 engine that powers Ilyushin Il-96-300, -400, T, Tupolev Tu-204, Tu-214 series and the Ilyushin Il-76-MD-90. The modification PS-90A-76 is instaled on Ilyushin Il-76 military and commercial transport airplanes. There are two modern variants of the PS-90A:
- PS-90A1, a more powerful version developed for the Ilyushin Il-96-400
- PS-90A2, developed in co-operation with Pratt & Whitney.
Current producing (and produced) engines in use (including Soloviev engines)
- Soloviev D-20P Turbofan, powers the Tupolev Tu-124.
- Soloviev D-25V Turboshaft, powers the Mil Mi-6, Mil Mi-10.
- Soloviev D-30 Turbofan, powers the Tupolev Tu-134A-3, A-5, and B.
- Soloviev D-30F6 Turbofan, powers the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-31.
- Soloviev D-30K Turbofan, powers the lyushin Il-62M, Ilyushin Il-76MD, TD, Beriev A-40, Beriev A-50 and the Tupolev Tu-154.
- Aviadvigatel PS-12
- Aviadvigatel PD-14 an upgraded version of the PS-12 engine (an uprated variant of PS-90A engine) will power the Irkut MS-21 twin-jet passenger aircraft in 2012.
- Aviadvigatel PS-30
- Aviadvigatel PS-90 Turbofan, powers the Ilyushin Il-76TD-90, MD-90, Ilyushin Il-96-300,-400T, and the Tupolev Tu-20],and Tupolev Tu-204/214 series.
- OKB is the Russian acronym for "Опытное конструкторское бюро" - Opytnoe Konstructorskoe Byuro, meaning Experimental Design Bureau.
- Aviadvigatel's history
- Interfax Russia: Aviation PD-18R jet engine to become most powerful in PD-14 turbofan family Allbusiness
- PERM Aircraft Engines: Interview PDF, page 11