Aviator Sports & Events Center
|Aviator Sports and Events Center|
|Location||3159 Flatbush Ave
Brooklyn, New York
|Owner||Gateway National Recreation Area|
|Operator||Aviator Sports and Events Center|
|New York Sharks (WFA)|
Aviator Sports and Events Center  is a concession for the National Park Service operating in New York City's historic first municipal airport, Floyd Bennett Field, which opened its hangars in 1931 and was decommissioned in 1972. Floyd Bennett Field (FBF) in Southeast Brooklyn is now part of the 4th most visited unit of the National Park System: Gateway National Recreation Area. Many of the original airport structures and runways are listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places for their contribution to the nation's early aviation history. In the late 1990s the National Park Service (NPS) was seeking private partners to help revitalize the field.
Aviator Sports and Events Center and the NPS have established a plan to improve a favorite destination for early pilots such as Amelia Earhart and Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan. Aviator and the NPS officially began their relationship in 2003 to adaptively reuse 4 of FBF's original hangars in the historic district (making them into one 170,000-square-foot (16,000 m2) building) and surrounding land, creating a sports complex totaling 25 acres.
Aviator's Sports Facilities include:
- 2 full size, synthetic turf, gated and lit outdoor soccer / lacrosse / football fields
- 2 NHL regulation size ice rinks – one of which can seat up to 2,500 people
- 18,000 square feet (1,700 m2) of hard wood courts to be used for sports such as basketball, volleyball, team handball, and Futsal as well as for events such as banquets, conferences, and movie screenings.
- 35-foot (11 m) tall by 30-foot (9 m) wide rock climbing wall
- 15,500-square-foot (1,440 m2) gymnastics and dance training and competition center
- A membership based fitness center that includes group classes such as Yoga and Pilates.
- A sports performance center complete with a physical therapy / orthopedic physicians practice and highly skilled trainers for the most competitive of athletes.
- 8,000-square-foot (700 m2) mezzanine and sports bar that overlook both hockey rinks and the hardwood courts
- "Main Street" walkway that includes a full service food concessions that feature famous food items from famous eateries from around Brooklyn as well as retail and a media wall.
Open from 9 am to 12 pm Monday through Saturday closed on Sundays
Aviator Sports and Events Center hosts a diverse array of programs to accommodate a wide range of interests for users of all ages. Their venues support participatory activities such as gymnastics, cheerleading, dance, figure skating, recreational ice skating, rock climbing, basketball, volleyball, hockey, soccer, flag football, and lacrosse.
- Concessionaire of National Park Service , servicing Floyd Bennett Field area of Gateway National Recreation Area, 
- Aviator Sports and Recreation has a relationship with a 501(c)(3), which provides opportunities and resources for youth and their families to participate in recreational, educational, and sports based camps, clinics, and leagues.
- New York Sharks - women's football team of the Independent Women's Football League
- Empire State Demon Knights - Men's semi-professional football team of the Five Star Football League
- Gateway National Recreation Area website at www.nps.gov/gate
- Aviator Sports and Recreation website at www.aviatorsports.com