|Founded||1975 - Present|
|Headquarters||Bernardsville, New Jersey, United States|
|Key people||Jeff Clyman, Founder
Marc Ecko, Owner
Avirex was originally founded by Jeff Clyman in 1975 as a brand for military apparel. Contrary to popular belief, Avirex was not a U.S. military supplier during World War II. In 1987 the company became an official Government contract supplier with A-2 jackets for the United States Air Force.
In 2006, Jeff Clyman sold the Avirex brand and trademark as well as the Avirex sportswear and Hip-hop fashion lines in Europe, Japan, and the United States. The new owner of the Avirex brand in the United States is Eckō Unltd.
Jeff Clyman founded a new company for military apparel called Cockpit USA.
In popular culture and media
- Friend of SL2 and MC Jay J wore Avirex leather jackets during performances with the band in the early 90's. One notable appearance of such was on Top of the Pops in December 1991 MC'ing on SL2's #11 hit "DJ's Take Control".
- The East Staines Massiv in the 2002 movie Ali G Indahouse wear Avirex Jackets.
- Various members of the group Blazin' Squad wear Avirex clothing.
- Tim Robbins wears an Avirex jacket in the 1990 movie Cadillac Man
- In the song entitled "Some L.A. Niggaz," Rapper Xzibit uses Avirex in his lyric seemingly to show that he wears Avirex Clothing.
- In the popular British sit-com 2point4 children Gary Olsen played a character called Ben Porter who wore an Avirex leather jacket in most episodes with in the 8 series.
- In the classic Polish film Dogs (about polish secret police in transformation era) Bogusław Linda played a character called Franz Maurer who wore an Avirex g1.
- "Avirex" is the title of a Mobb Deep song from mid 90's, in which rapper Prodigy raps about this brand of leather jackets.
- Country Music Star Tim McGraw's character in the video for his song "Indian Outlaw" wears an Avirex Leather Jacket.
|This clothing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|