Avon Grove High School
|Avon Grove High School|
|257 State Road
West Grove, Pennsylvania, 19390
|Motto||In Pursuit of Excellence|
|School district||Avon Grove School District|
|Principal||Thomas M. Alexander|
|Assistant principals||Robert Devers, Gary Benasutti, Michael Berardi, Angela Houghton|
|School color(s)||Maroon and gold|
|Rival||Oxford Area High School|
|Newspaper||The Devil's Herald|
Avon Grove High School enrolls about 1,850+ students in grades 9-12. It is neighbored by Fred S. Engle Middle School, which houses grades 7 and 8. Their school mascot is a Red Devil whose name is Scorcher and the school's colors are maroon and gold.
11th Grade Reading
2009 - 75% on grade level. In Pennsylvania, 65% of 11th graders on grade level.
2008 - 75%, State - 65%
2007 - 77%, State - 65%
11th Grade Math:
2009 - 65% on grade level. In Pennsylvania, 56% of 11th graders are on grade level.
2008 - 67%, State - 56%
2007 - 70%, State - 53%
11th Grade Science:
2009 - 48% on grade level. State: 40% of 11th graders on grade level.
2008 - 31%
College remediation: According to a Pennsylvania Department of Education study released in January 2009, 24% of Avon Grove School District graduates required remediation in mathematics and/or reading before they were prepared to take college-level courses in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education or community colleges. Less than 66% of Pennsylvania high school graduates, who enroll in a four-year college in Pennsylvania, will earn a bachelor's degree within six years. Among Pennsylvania high school graduates pursuing an associate degree, only one in three graduate in three years. Per the Pennsylvania Department of Education, one in three recent high school graduates who attend Pennsylvania's public universities and community colleges takes at least one remedial course in math, reading, or English.
The high school offers a Dual Enrollment program. This state program permits high school students to take courses at local higher education institutions to earn college credits. Students remain enrolled at their high school. The courses count towards both high school graduation requirements and towards a college degree. The students continue to have full access to all clubs, activities, and programs at their high school including the graduation ceremony. The college credits are offered at a deeply discounted rate. The state offers a small grant to assist students in costs for tuition, fees, and books. Under the Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Agreement, many Pennsylvania colleges and universities accept these credits for students who transfer to their institutions.
For the 2009-10 funding year, the school district received a state grant of $3,976 for the program.
Accreditation for Growth
Avon Grove High School is seeking re-accreditation from the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association. The purpose of the accreditation process is the improvement of education by evaluating the degree to which a school has gained worthwhile outcomes set by its own staff and community. All accreditation and renewal decisions are made by the Commission on Secondary Schools, which is one of three commissions that function within Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
The Avon Grove School District offers clubs, activities and sports. Eligibility for participation is set by school board policy and the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association.
By Pennsylvania law, all K-12 students in the district, including those who attend a private nonpublic school, cyber charter school, charter school and those homeschooled, are eligible to participate in the extracurricular programs including all athletics. They must meet the same eligibility rules as the students enrolled in the district's schools.
- presentation of the history of Avon Grove High School
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Report PSSA Math and REading by School and Grade 2007
- 2009 PSSAs: Reading, Math, Writing and Science Results http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/school_assessments/7442
- Avon Grove School District Report Card 2009 http://paayp.emetric.net/District/DataTable/c15/124150503
- Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children - High School Graduation Rates 2007
- Pennsylvania College Remediation Report http://www.scribd.com/doc/23970364/Pennsylvania-College-Remediation-Report
- National Center for Education Statistics
- Pennsylvania Department of Education - Dual Enrollment Guidelines.
- Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Agreement website accessed March 2010.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Dual Enrollment Fall Grants 2009-10. August 2009
- Home-Schooled, Charter School Children Can Participate in School District Extracurricular Activities, Pennsylvania Office of the Governor Press Release, November 10, 2005