Avon Lake High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
|Avon Lake High School|
|175 Avon Belden Road
Avon Lake, Ohio, 44012
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Avon Lake City Schools|
|Assistant principals||Monica Mansor
|Student to teacher ratio||20.7:1|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold |
|Athletics conference||Southwestern Conference|
|Sports||Football, Soccer, Basketball, Tennis, Swimming, Diving, Track, Cross Country, Baseball, Softball, Ice hockey, Rugby, Lacrosse|
|Rival||Amherst High School|
|Athletic Director||Thomas Barone|
|Website||Avon Lake High School|
ALHS has achieved "excellent" ratings on the Ohio State Report Card for eight consecutive years. In 2011, ALHS was ranked 418th in the United States by Newsweek Magazine. The school boasts a 97% 4-year graduation rate, an 1134 average SAT score, and 93% of graduates are college bound. All teachers at ALHS hold a bachelors degree and 91.6% hold at least a masters degree. Avon Lake City Schools were also recognized by the Cleveland Plain Dealer as the 8th best "Top Workplaces of 2011." 
Since joining the Southwestern Conference (SWC) in 1964, the football program has won 23 SWC titles. In 2003, the Shoremen won the state Division II Football championship  after beating Trenton Edgewood 10-7 to complete an undefeated season.
The school has also become a top ranked tennis high school in Ohio. In 2006, the power doubles tandem of Christine and Nikki Chiricosta won the Division I state championship. The two sisters own a dominant 122-0 record in the Southwestern Conference. The team has also won four consecutive SWC titles.
- Carmella DeCesare, 2000 graduate - Playboy Playmate and April 2003 centerfold
- Angela Funovits, 2005 graduate - Mentalist/Illusionist and star of NBC's Phenomenon
- Dick Tomanek, Former MLB player (Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Athletics)
- Andrew Means, Former two-sport star at Indiana University. Current Outfielder in the Cincinnati Reds Organization.
- Walker, Milburn (1965). The Avon Lake Story (Booklet). Avon Lake, Ohio: Kiwanis Club of Avon Lake, Ohio. p. 14.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "National Rankings: Best High Schools". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "Ohio High Schools Rankings". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- America's Best High Schools 2011 - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- Northeast Ohio Top Workplaces 2011 | cleveland.com
- OHSAA: 2003 State Tournament Division II
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Archived from the original on 31 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Archived from the original on 13 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Carmella DeCesare - Biography
- Angela Funovits - Biography | All About Magicians.com