Avon River (Ontario)
Lake Victoria, in Stratford, part of the Avon River
|Name origin: after the River Avon in England|
|Municipalities||Perth East, Perth South|
|Part of||Great Lakes Basin|
|- location||Perth East|
|- elevation||390 m (1,280 ft)|
|Mouth||North Thames River|
|- location||Perth South|
|- elevation||308 m (1,010 ft)|
|Length||37 km (23 mi)|
|Basin||1,678 km2 (648 sq mi)|
|- average||2.2 m3/s (78 cu ft/s)|
The Avon River is a river in Perth County, Ontario, Canada. The river was named after the River Avon in England when the town of Stratford was founded on its banks in 1832. The Avon River rises northeast of Stratford and flows southwest, entering the North Thames River near St. Marys. It was originally known as the Little Thames River.
For a map showing the river's course highlighted on a topographic map, see this reference.
The river begins in a field northeast of the community of Shakespeare in Perth East. It flows west to the north of the community, south of Brocksden, and into Lake Victoria, a seasonal reservoir created by the Thomas Orr Dam, in Stratford. The Avon River continues west through the community of Avonton in Perth South, and heads south through the community of Avonbank. It then empties into the North Thames River, as a left tributary, between the community of Motherwell to the north and the town of St. Marys to the south.
- Dunseith Drain
- Douglas Drain
- Hislop Drain
- Court Drain
- Kuhne Drain
- Central School Drain
- Sheerer Drain
- "Avon River". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/unique.php?id=FAEII&output=xml. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Avon River". Atlas of Canada. Natural Resources Canada. 2010-02-04. Retrieved 2012-08-24. Shows the river's course highlighted on a topographic map.
- "Marsh Takes Shape in Lake Victoria". Upper Thames River Conservation Authority. 2010-06-22. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Toporama - Topographic Map Sheet 40P6". Atlas of Canada. Natural Resources Canada. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Avon River Watershed". Upper Thames River Conservation Authority. 2010-06-22. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Avon River Watershed Report Card". Upper Thames River Conservation Authority. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
|This Southwestern Ontario geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|