|• Total||5.8 sq mi (15 km2)|
|• Land||5.4 sq mi (14 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (0.9 m)|
|• Density||850/sq mi (330/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Avondale is a census-designated place (CDP) in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, United States, on the West Bank of the Mississippi River. The population was 4,954 at the 2010 census. It is part of the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Avondale (AVD) is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.8 square miles (15 km2), of which, 5.4 square miles (14 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (6.04%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,441 people, 1,726 households, and 1,439 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 998.8 people per square mile (385.5/km²). There were 1,811 housing units at an average density of 332.4 per square mile (128.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 63.70% White, 20.25% African American, 0.53% Native American, 12.20% Asian, 1.58% from other races, and 1.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.80% of the population.
There were 1,726 households out of which 38.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.8% were married couples living together, 15.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.6% were non-families. 13.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.15 and the average family size was 3.44.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 29.1% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 23.8% from 45 to 64, and 7.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 92.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $35,917, and the median income for a family was $37,250. Males had a median income of $28,730 versus $21,936 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $13,518. About 15.6% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.7% of those under age 18 and 12.6% of those age 65 or over.
Most residents are zoned to Catherine Strehle Elementary School in Avondale and some are zoned to Lucille Cherbonnier/Norbert Rillieux Elementary School in Waggaman. All residents are zoned to Henry Ford Middle School in Avondale and L.W. Higgins High School in Marrero. In regards to advanced studies academies, residents are zoned to the Marrero Academy.
Previously a portion of the community was zoned to Norbert Rillieux Elementary in Waggaman. In 2012 the school board announced Rillieux was being considered for consolidation into Lucille Cherbonnier Elementary.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Avondale CDP, LA" (Archive). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 19, 2014.
- "Elementary School Districts 2012-2013 West Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana" (Archive). Jefferson Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Middle School Districts 2012-2013 West Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana" (Archive). Jefferson Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "High School Districts 2012-2013 West Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana" (Archive). Jefferson Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Westbank Advanced Studies Academies Attendance Zones" (Archive). Jefferson Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Elementary School Districts 2009-2010 West Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana" (Archive). Jefferson Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- Waller, Mark. "Jefferson Parish school officials announce five schools for possible closure." The Times Picayune. January 18, 2012. Retrieved on May 19, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avondale, Louisiana.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Avondale.|