|Part of a series on|
Note: Varies by jurisdiction
Note: Varies by jurisdiction
|By victim or victims|
Avunculicide is the act of killing an uncle. The word can also refer to someone who commits such an act. The term is derived from the Latin words avunculus meaning "maternal uncle" and caedere meaning "to cut or kill". Edmunds suggests that in mythology avunculicide is a substitute for parricide. The killing of a nephew is a nepoticide.
Avunculicide in history
- The mythological founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus, accidentally killed their grand-uncle, Amulius.
- In 685, Hlothhere of Kent succumbed to his wounds after his nephew Eadric of Kent led the South-Saxons to take his throne.
- In 1385, Bernabò Visconti died after his nephew Gian Galeazzo Visconti had him imprisoned and presumably poisoned.
- In 1975, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia was assassinated by his nephew, Faisal bin Musa'id.
- In 2001, Crown Prince Dipendra of Nepal killed his uncle Dhirendra during the Nepalese royal massacre.
- In 2013, North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un ordered the execution of his uncle.
Avunculicide in fiction
||This section contains information of unclear or questionable importance or relevance to the article's subject matter. Please help improve this article by clarifying or removing superfluous information. (April 2009)|
- In God of War III (2010), Kratos brutally murders his uncle Helios by tearing his head off his shoulders and later in equally brutal and different methods kills his uncles Hades, Poseidon, and Hephaestus .
- In Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Huang avenges his father's death by killing his Uncle Kenny Lee because Lee killed Hunag's father and tries to kill Huang.
- In the video game The Darkness, Jackie Estacado, the game's main protagonist, kills his "uncle" Paulie in revenge over the death of his girlfriend Jenny Romano which Paulie himself was responsible for.
- Hamlet kills his uncle, King Claudius.
- In Vladimir Nabokov's 1928 novel King, Queen, Knave, Franz intends to murder his uncle; the narrator tells us that later on he will be "guilty of worse sins than avunculicide".
- In the Hellsing (1997–2008) manga series, Integra kills her uncle, who wanted the Hellsing organization for his own selfish purposes, in self-defense after unintentionally reviving the vampire Alucard with blood from a gunshot wound.
- Kill Uncle (1991), Morrissey's second solo album
- Louis Mazzini commits avunculicide in the 1949 movie, Kind Hearts and Coronets
- In the 1966 horror movie, Let's Kill Uncle, the evil uncle is to be killed in self-defense.
- Familial killing terms:
- Avunculicide, killing one's uncle
- Filicide, killing one's child
- Fratricide, killing one's brother
- Mariticide, killing one's husband
- Matricide, killing one's mother
- Nepoticide, killing one's nephew
- Parricide, killing one's parents or another close relative
- Patricide, killing one's father
- Prolicide, killing one's offspring
- Sororicide, killing one's sister
- Uxoricide, killing one's wife
- Non-familial killing terms from the same root:
- Deicide, killing a god
- Genocide, killing a large group people, usually an entire ethnic, racial, religious or national group
- Homicide, killing a human
- Infanticide, killing an infant from birth to 12 months
- Regicide, killing a monarch (king or ruler)
- Tyrannicide, killing a tyrant
- Time Magazine: Nepoticide v. Avunculicide Retrieved 2009-06-06
- Edmunds L. Oedipus: a folklore casebook. Univ. of Wisconsin Press, 1995. p. 64. ISBN 0-299-14854-8.
- Bede (2008). The Ecclesiastical History of the English People. Oxford University Press: J. McClure and R. Collins. p. 222.
- Barbara Tuchman (1978). A Distant Mirror. New York: A.A.Knopf. p. 418.
- "1975: Saudi's King Faisal assassinated, BBC On this Day". BBC News. March 25, 1975.
- "The Royal Ark". royalark.net.
- Leona Toker. Nabokov. The Mystery of Literary Structure. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York, 1989. Page 63. ISBN 0-8014-2211-6