Awake and Sing!
|Awake and Sing!|
Playbill title page, Belasco Theatre, 1935
|Written by||Clifford Odets|
|Date premiered||February 19, 1935|
|Place premiered||Belasco Theatre
New York City, New York, United States
|Subject||A family struggles for survival amongst harsh conditions|
|Setting||The Bronx, 1933|
Summary and characters
The play is set in The Bronx borough of New York City, New York, in 1933; it concerns the impoverished Berger family and their conflicts as the parents scheme to manipulate their children's relationships to their own ends, while their children strive for their own dreams.
- Myron Berger – the father of the family
- Bessie Berger – his wife
- Hennie Berger – their daughter, age 26
- Ralph Berger – their son, age 22
- Uncle Morty – Bessie's brother, a successful businessman
- Jacob – father of Bessie and Morty; a Marxist; he lives with the Bergers
- Moe Axelrod – a friend of the family who eventually boards with the Bergers
- Sam Feinschreiber – an immigrant who courts Hennie
- Schlosser – the janitor in the Bergers' apartment building
The play premiered on Broadway at the Belasco Theatre on February 19, 1935, running for 184 performances before closing on July 27, 1935; it returned two months later on September 9 for an additional 24 performances through September 28, 1935. Directed by Harold Clurman, the cast starred Luther Adler (Moe Axelrod), Stella Adler (Bessie Berger), Morris Carnovsky (Jacob), John Garfield (Ralph Berger) and Sanford Meisner (Sam Feinschreiber).
It was revived in 1961 at the Teatro Oficina, São Paulo, Brasil.
A television adaptation aired on PBS March 6, 1972. It featured Walter Matthau (Moe), Ruth Storey (Bessie), Felicia Farr (Hennie), Robert Lipton (Ralph), Leo Fuchs (Jacob), Milton Selzer (Myron), Martin Ritt (Uncle Morty), Ron Rifkin (Sam), and John Myhers (Schlosser).
It was last revived in a Lincoln Center Theater production on Broadway at the Belasco Theatre that won the Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play, opening on April 17, 2006, and closing on June 25, 2006 after 80 performances and 27 previews. Directed by Bartlett Sher, the cast featured Ben Gazzara (Jacob), Zoë Wanamaker (Bessie), Mark Ruffalo (Moe) and Lauren Ambrose (Hennie). Gazzara and Ruffalo repeated their roles (with Sher directing) in a 2010 L.A. Theatre Works recording of the play that also starred Jane Kaczmarek.
Following its American success, the play was staged in London at the Off West End Almeida Theatre, from August 31, 2007, through October 20, 2007. Directed by Michael Attenborough, the cast featured Stockard Channing as Bessie.
The play opened in Toronto, Ontario, on June 6, 2009, for a two-month run at the Soulpepper Theatre Company. The National Asian American Theatre Company in New York ran of production of the play from August to September 2013.
Awards and nominations
Tony Awards (2006)
- Best Revival of a Play (win)
- Best Costume Design of a Play (win)
- Best Lighting Design of a Play (nomination)
- Best Scenic Design of a Play (nomination)
- Best Direction of a Play (nomination)
- Featured Actress – Zoe Wanamaker (nomination)
- Featured Actor – Mark Ruffalo (nomination) and Pablo Schreiber (nomination)
Drama Desk Awards (2006)
- Outstanding Revival of a Play (win)
- Outstanding Set Design of a Play (win)
- Outstanding Ensemble Performance (win)
- Outstanding Lighting Design (nomination)
- Internet Off-Broadway database listing, Awake and Sing lortel.org. Retrieved May 13, 2009.
- TV Guide, North Carolina Edition, March 4-10 1972, pg A-45
- Internet Movie Database listing Internet Movie Database. Retrieved May 13, 2009.
- article on 2006 revival playbill.com, 2006
- Defying Poverty's Everyday Despair in Odets's 'Awake and Sing!' New York Times review of 2006 revival, April 18, 2006
- Awake and Sing, With Ruffalo and Gazzara, Begins L.A. Run Jan. 13
- Almeida Theatre's 2007 London production almeida.co.uk
- Hernandez, Ernio (April 17, 2006). "Playbill Archives: Awake and Sing! — 1935". Playbill. Retrieved November 4, 2008.
- Odets, Clifford (1900s). Shtey uf un zing (in Yiddish). United States: O.fg. OCLC 83856392.
- Odets, Clifford (1935). Awake and Sing, A Play in Three Acts. New York City: Random House. OCLC 2128928.
- Awake and Sing! at the Internet Broadway Database
- Playbill Vault - Awake and Sing!
- Review of 1981 revival
- Photos of the Jewish Repertory Theatre's 2008 production of Awake and Sing
- Study guide for UK Almeida 2007 production