Awards and honors presented to the 14th Dalai Lama
The 14th Dalai Lama has received numerous awards over his spiritual and political career. He was a laureate for community leadership in 1959 Ramon Magsaysay Awards, Asia's version of Nobel Prize. On 22 June 2006, he became the third person to be recognised with Honorary Citizenship by the Governor General of Canada. On 28 May 2005, he received the Christmas Humphreys Award from the Buddhist Society in the United Kingdom. Most notable was the Nobel Peace Prize, presented in Oslo on 10 December 1989 (see below).
Other notable awards and honors include:
Nobel Peace Prize
On 10 December 1989 the Dalai Lama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The committee recognized his efforts in "the struggle of the liberation of Tibet and the efforts for a peaceful resolution instead of using violence." The chairman of the Nobel committee said that the award was "in part a tribute to the memory of Mahatma Gandhi." In his acceptance speech the Dalai Lama criticised China for using force against student protesters during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. He said the victims' efforts were not in vain. His speech focused on the importance of the continued use of non-violence and his desire to maintain a dialogue with China to try to resolve the situation.
- List of awards
- "The Dalai Lama gives $1.5 million prize money to save malnourished children". Phayul.com. 14 May 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Roman, Steve (18 August 2011). "UT Rector Delivers Dalai Lama's Honorary Doctorate". ERR News. Retrieved 25 August 2011. "At the Academy of Sciences today, August 18, University of Tartu Rector Alar Karis handed the Dalai Lama a medal and certificate signifying the Tibetan spiritual leader's honorary doctorate in Oriental studies."
- "The Dalai Lama delivers special lecture at SMU". Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "Dalai Lama: Simple man, simple message on Ohio visit". Archived from the original on 24 October 2010. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "His Holiness the Dalai Lama Honoured with Int'l Freedom Conductor Award". Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "CNN.com: Pelosi gives Dalai Lama human rights award". Cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- University of Calgary "Honorary Degree Recipients (1966 to 2009) "
- Global Panel Foundation "His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama - Hanno R. Ellenbogen Award Recipient"
- Michael Lollar. "The Dalai Lama became an honorary citizen of Memphis and Shelby County on Tuesday and left behind a white scarf as a blessing of the Mississippi River.". Archived from the original on 25 September 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- Slovensko navštívil Dalajláma(Slovak)
- "Search - Global Edition - The New York Times". International Herald Tribune. 29 March 2009. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "His Holiness the Dalai Lama made honorary citizen of Rome". Tibet Post. 9 Feb 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Doktorzy honoris causa". www.uj.edu.pl. Retrieved 21 September 2011.(Polish)
- Civitate Wratislaviensi Donatus since 1993
- "news.bbc.co.uk, Dalai gets honorary doctorate". BBC News. 20 May 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- Paris makes Dalai Lama honorary citizen
- (AFP) – Apr 21, 2008 (21 April 2008). "Paris makes Dalai Lama, Chinese dissident honorary citizens". Afp.google.com. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- Pais, Arthur J. (11 April 2008). "The Dalai Lama wins Hofstra University's first Guru Nanak Interfaith prize". India Abroad. Retrieved 25 September 2008.
- dalailama.emory.edu - The Dalai Lama as Professor
- "Public Law 109-287". Frwebgate.access.gpo.gov. 27 September 2006. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
-  "Dalai Lama charms, uplifts New Jersey"
- "Exhibit - Buddhist Prayer Wheel". Nova Southeastern University - Library - Events and Exhibits. 5 August 2008. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- University of Tartu "UT Council Confers Honorary Doctorate on His Holiness Tenzin Gyatso The XIV Dalai Lama "
- Voice of America "Dalai Lama Delights in Accepting Honorary Degree from University of Toronto - 2004-04-29 "
- Dalai Lama’s Brother Returns to USF, MASTER OF ARTS IN ASIA PACIFIC STUDIES, p. 4
- wallenberg.umich.edu - The Wallenberg Endowement
- BEREApedia - Honorary Degrees
- University of St Andrews - Previous Recipients of Honorary Degrees
- "Presentation Speech by Egil Aarvik, Chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee". Nobelprize.org. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "The Nobel Prize". Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso). Archived from the original on 8 October 2009. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "The Government of Tibet in Exile". His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Nobel Prize acceptance speech University Aula, Oslo, 10 December 1989.