Away from the World
|Away from the World|
|Studio album by Dave Matthews Band|
|Released||September 11, 2012|
|Genre||Alternative rock, Folk Rock|
|Dave Matthews Band chronology|
|Singles from Away from the World|
|Consequence of Sound|||
Away from the World is the eighth studio album by Dave Matthews Band (DMB), released on September 11, 2012. The album is their first since 2009's Big Whiskey & the GrooGrux King. The album's title comes from a line in the song "The Riff": "Sitting in a box / away from the world out there." According to Matthews, it relates to the idea that we are born and die alone and that "our body is our box."
Steve Lillywhite produced Away from the World, which marks his first released studio album with the band since 1998's Before These Crowded Streets. A series of failed sessions with Lillywhite led to the leaked Lillywhite Sessions in 2000 and Lillywhite's departure from the band's work.
DMB and Lillywhite recorded the album in a Seattle studio beginning in early January 2012, and production on the album finished in May. In addition to the 11 songs that made the album, one other song was attempted during the sessions, but the band did not complete that song. Violinist Boyd Tinsley said of the process: "Some of the songs that you hear on this album, the basic tracks came out, like, the first or second time we played them. Dave would come in with part of a song. We’d get into the control room and we’d finish it, putting in a chorus or bridge here and working out arrangements. And then we went to the studio, and we just played."
Dave Matthews debuted the lead single "Mercy" on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" on April 24, and DMB released the studio version in July. The band also released the studio version of "Gaucho" in May. Those songs, in addition to "Sweet," "If Only," "The Riff," "Rooftop," "Snow Outside," and "Belly Belly Nice," were all performed during DMB's 2012 summer tour.
As part of the promotion in the week leading up to the release of Away From The World, iTunes streamed the entire album for free beginning on Tuesday, September 4, 2012, at around 2pm EST.
The album debuted at #1 on Billboard 200 with album sales of 266,000 for the week. This was the 3rd lowest debut sales of an album since Crash but the band's sixth straight No. 1-debuting studio album. As of December 6, 2012, the album has sold 458,000 copies.
The track listing for the album was announced along with the album's title and release date.
All songs written by David J. Matthews except where noted.
- "Broken Things" (Matthews, John Alagia) - 3:48
- "Belly Belly Nice" (Matthews, Rashawn Ross) - 3:53
- "Mercy" - 4:28
- "Gaucho" (Stefan Lessard, Matthews, Tim Reynolds, Ross) - 4:25
- "Sweet" - 4:12
- "The Riff" (Matthews, Ross) - 5:35
- "Belly Full" (Matthews, Alagia) - 1:43
- "If Only" - 5:38
- "Rooftop" - 4:12
- "Snow Outside" (Carter Beauford, Lessard, Matthews, Boyd Tinsley, Jeff Coffin, Reynolds, Ross) - 6:11
- "Drunken Soldier" (Beauford, Lessard, Matthews, Tinsley, Coffin, Reynolds, Ross) - 9:45
The Deluxe Version includes the following live tracks:
- Gaucho (Hartford, CT – 5.25.12)
- Mercy (Bristow, VA – 6.16.12)
- Sweet (Cleveland, OH – 6.3.12)
The Super Deluxe Version includes the three live tracks featured on the Deluxe CD, as well as a Bonus CD featuring tracks from the DMB 2012 Summer Tour, and a DVD featuring live performances from the 2012 Summer Tour.
Bonus CD Track listing
- Save Me (6.2.12 Molson Amphitheater)
- You Never Know (6.8.12 SPAC)
- Jimi Thing (5.22.12 Aaron's Amphitheater)
- Halloween (6.6.12 Comcast Center; Mansfield, MA) »
- Tripping Billies (6.6.12 Comcast Center; Mansfield, MA)
- Mansfield Jam >> Why I Am (6.5.12 Comcast Center; Mansfield, MA)
- Time Bomb (6.24.12 Harriet Island) »
- Two Step (6.24.12 Harriet Island)
The first 5 tracks are included with every pre-order of Away From The World. The final three tracks are only available to Warehouse Fan Club members.
DVD Track listing
- Eh Hee – Noblesville, IN – 6.22.12
- Pig – Mansfield, MA – 6.5.12
- Say Goodbye – Saratoga Springs, NY – 6.8.12
- Lie In Our Graves – Saratoga Springs, NY – 6.8.12
- What Would You Say – Saratoga Springs, NY – 6.8.12
- Stay or Leave – Wantagh, NY – 6.12.12
- Little Red Bird – Hartford, CT – 5.26.12
- Blue Water » Best of What’s Around – E. Troy, WI – 7.6.12
- Shotgun – Hershey, PA – 6.29.12
- Don’t Drink The Water – Noblesville, IN – 6.22.12
The DVD is only available to those who pre-ordered the Super Deluxe Edition.
European Bonus CD Track listing
- Pantala Naga Pampa » Rapunzel (Munich, DE - 2.20.10)
- You Might Die Trying (Brixton, UK - 6.25.09)
- One Sweet World (Padua, IT - 2.25.10)
- Still Water>Don't Drink the Water (Cologne, DE - 2.28.10)
- #41 (Berlin, DE - 2.17.10)
- Why I Am (Brixton, UK - 6.25.09)
- Grey Street (Dublin, IE - 5.23.07)
- Two Step (Glasgow, UK - 3.11.10)
The album debuted at #1, marking the 6th straight #1 album released by the band. This ties The Eagles for the most #1 albums by an American band.
- Dave Matthews Band
- Carter Beauford – drums, vocals
- Stefan Lessard – bass, double bass, rhodes
- Dave Matthews – acoustic, electric guitars, ukulele, and piano, lead vocals
- Jeff Coffin – saxophone, flute
- Boyd Tinsley – electric violin, violin
- Tim Reynolds - electric guitar
- Rashawn Ross – trumpet, vocals
- Roger Smith - Hammond Organ
- "Away from the World Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Robson, Gregory (2012-09-13). "Dave Matthews Band Review". Absolutepunk. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Thomas Erlewine, Stephen. "Away from the World Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Ritt, Megan (2012-09-14). "Album Review". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Dave & Rodrigo Episode 8". YouTube. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Yukon Kornelius - KBCO-FM". Kbco.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Twitter / Sillywhite: mastering today". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Twitter / Sillywhite: @jclebec718 there was only". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Boyd Tinsley: The DMBnews.net Interview". DMBnews.net. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Wall Photos". Facebook. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "New Dave Matthews Band song ‘Mercy’ debuts on Fallon". DMBnews.net. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "New DMB single ‘Mercy’ due July 16". DMBnews.net. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- E&E. "Dave Matthews Band". Gaucho.davematthewsband.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "DMBAlmanac.comÂ²". Dmbalmanac.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Dave Matthews Band". antsmarching.org. Retrieved 2012-09-17.