Axe Cop (TV series)
|Based on||Axe Cop, by Malachai Nicolle and Ethan Nicolle|
|Developed by||Nick Weidenfeld
|Creative director(s)||Ben Jones|
|Narrated by||Malachai Nicholle (Opening only)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||12 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||11 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Friends Night
|Original release||July 21, 2013 – present|
Axe Cop is an American animated series based on the webcomic of the same name that was created by Ethan Nicolle and Malachi Nicolle. It premiered on Fox on July 21, 2013, as a part of the channel's Animation Domination HD programming block. The series consisted of 12 11-minute episodes in its first season.
Similar to the web-comic, the series features the titular police officer Axe Cop, his partner Flute Cop, and their allies Sockarang, Gray Diamond, Liborg, Bat Warthog Man, and Wexter as they fight various "bad guys" and avoid getting into conflict with the Normal Police.
Axe Cop is a popular web comic that was created by Ethan Nicolle and his young brother Malachai (five years old at the time of its creation). In playing with Malachai, Ethan found that his brother had a vivid and disjointed imagination, and developed the comic by taking the stories that Malachai told, refining the story to some point without losing Malachai's inventiveness, and drawing the comic around it. The web comic became very popular, leading to publishing deals with Dark Horse Comics for larger comic-book-sized stories.
The development of the Axe Cop series started from a conversation that Nick Offerman had with the ADHD producer Nick Weidenfeld some years before the program's debut. Offerman talked with Weidenfeld about the Axe Cop comic and stated that if a show was to be made from it, Offerman wanted to participate. Weidenfeld took the idea to Phil Lord and Chris Miller, also fans of the web comic, and they asked Weidenfeld to lead the project, stating that it "has to be emotional", in Weidenfeld's words. As Lord and Miller were working on 21 Jump Street at the time, they suggested Weidenfeld turn to Judah Miller for directional help. Weidenfeld and Miller arranged for a retreat along with writers Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein, voice actors Ken Marino, Patton Oswalt, and Offerman, and the comic creator Ethan Nicolle, where the group discussed their favorite parts of the comic and how to translate it into a show, keeping all the moments that are "100-percent pure Malachai". As they started to write some of the show's plots, they found themselves with narrative dead ends; Ethan used these moments to contact Malachai, explain the story so far and have Malachai provide the missing narrative. Malachai also provided additional advice during the animation process for the shorts when he visited the studios, such as insisting that Zombie Island be set in space, a tangent that the writers and animators quickly agreed with for its illogical humorous value and included in the short.
Season 1 (2013)
The initial episode order for the series was six. On August 1, 2013, Fox ordered six additional episodes, bringing the season to a total of 12 episodes.
|Title||Written by||Original air date||Prod.
|1||1||"Night Mission: Stealing Friends Back"||Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein||July 21, 2013||103||2.42|
|The King of Bad Guys has stolen all of Bat Warthog Man's friends. Axe Cop leads a night mission to Invisible Bad Guy Planet #2 to get them back where he and Bat Warthog Man meet Grey Diamond, Army Chihuahua, and Liborg while learning about their history along the way. Axe Cop's plan to rescue the captive friends involves poisoned soda on the King of Bad Guy's minions and a Dinosaur Horn rented from the Dinosaur Horn Planet that summons dinosaurs from Dinosaur Planet.|
|2||2||"Zombie Island... In Space"||Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein||July 27, 2013||106||1.5|
|During World War II, Adolf Hitler and his soldiers kidnap an English chemist named Chemist M. where Adolf Hitler forces him to create an army of unstoppable zombies on Zombie Island in Space for the safety of his daughter Isabella M. In the present, Isabella M. enlists Axe Cop, Flute Cop, and Wexter to rescue her father from Zombie Island in Space. Upon arrival, they find Chemist M as a zombie following his search for a formula that turns zombies good and also uncover a plan by Chemist M.'s sentient poop named Dr. Doodoo who plans to marry the Queen of England and make everyone poop themselves.|
|3||3||"An American Story"||Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein||August 3, 2013||104||1.1|
|At the Independence Day picnic, Axe Cop tells Flute Cop, Sockarang, Bat Warthog Man, and the people present at the picnic the story of how his ancestor Book Cop did battle with the King of London England to retrieve the stolen Secret Attack Almanac during the American Revolutionary War.|
|4||4||"Babysitting Uni-Baby"||Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein||August 10, 2013||105||1.2|
|Flute Cop and his wife Anita are on vacation in Hawaii and Axe Cop is looking after Uni-Baby (whose unicorn horn possesses great magical power) while they're away. Upon creating robot duplicates of themselves to watch over Unibaby, Axe Cop and Sockarang take a quick trip to Magic Planet (a planet of magicians) and find themselves having to fight off the Magic Cops while meeting Chubby Doll. Afterwards, Axe Cop, Sockarang, and Chubby Doll end up fighting the Axe Cop Robot and Sockarang Robot when they turn evil.|
|5||5||"Birthday Month"||Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein||August 17, 2013||102|
|Axe Cop's birthday (which he's celebrating all month) starts off badly when he inadvertently kills some good mermen (whose smiles he mistook as evil smiles) while at the beach. But it improves when he has the chance to kill the man who killed Axe Cop's parents....Bad Santa (the evil brother of Good Santa). Upon arriving at South Pole Planet, Axe Cop must fight Bad Santa before he can raid Heaven and overthrow God.|
|6||6||"The Rabbit Who Broke All the Rules"||Nick Rutherford||August 24, 2013||101|
|To raise money for his headquarters, Axe Cop becomes a foster father for a mysterious young boy. While Axe Cop, Flute Cop, Gray Diamond, Sockarang, Liborg, and Wexter run a camp for young children and dinosaurs, Axe Cop is unaware that the boy is possessed by the ghost of Axe Cop's first kill....an unconventional rabbit who broke the rabbit rules by walking on its hind legs and eating coconuts.|
|7||7||"No More Bad Guys"||Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein||November 2, 2013||108|
|Axe Cop has killed all the bad guys on Earth following his fight with evil dinosaurs and Psydrozon. This means only one thing: Axe Cop and his team of crime fighters need to find new jobs. At the same time, Baby Man gets a hold of Uni-Baby's horn following Axe Cop's fight with Psydrozon and wishes that he was a bad guy so that he can get even with Axe Cop for rejecting him at the tryouts for his group. Flute Cop also has to deal with changing forms against his will.|
|8||8||"Super Axe"||Nick Rutherford||November 9, 2013||109|
|While on vacation, Axe Cop must convince his old college buddy Super Axe to go on one last adventure to save the world by traveling back in time to stop the Red-Headed Woman (whose sons were killed by Axe Cop) from making all life on Earth evil at the beginning of time.|
|9||9||"When Night Creatures Attack"||Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein||November 16, 2013||107|
|Axe Cop, Gray Diamond, and Wexter must track down the Sun Thieves Ben and Scoot before the world is torn apart by Night Creatures that are abducting babies. Meanwhile, Flute Cop and Anita rescue Uni-Baby from the Night Creatures.|
|10||10||"28 Days Before"||Nick Rutherford||November 23, 2013||110|
|It's Thanksgiving and Axe Cop hasn't been seen since Halloween following their fight with Turkey Turkey (who had stolen all the Halloween candy) as his usual Thanksgiving duties haven't been performed. While wondering where Axe Cop is, Flute Cop tells Sockarang, Gray Diamond, Liborg, Bat Warthog Man, Baby Man, and The Wrestler about his and Axe Cop's fight with Turkey Turkey on Thanksgiving Planet.|
|11||11||"Taxi Cop"||Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein||November 30, 2013||112|
|Young Axe Cop and Flute Cop grow up to run a taxi company, just falling short of their childhood dreams of becoming crime fighters. They become cops where they save Uni-Man from some robbers. Axe Cop and Flute Cop then come to the aid of Uni-Man when Fatsozon plans to detonate the bombs within Earth from his location on Uni-Planet.|
|12||12||"The Dumb List"||Nick Weidenfeld||November 30, 2013||111|
|Following the slaying of Evil Rhino Man (whose horn can turn anything to gold), Axe Cop is forced to let a girl join the team (even though he has put all girls on the "Dumb List") following some bad press upon beating up a group of cheerleaders called the Beautiful Girly Bobs (who Axe Cop rejected their memberships for his team). He ends up enlisting a fairy named Best Fairy Ever from "Fairy Wars" who comes in handy at the time when the leader of the Beautiful Girly Bobs plans her revenge on Axe Cop.|
Season 2 (2015–present)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.
|13||1||"Night Mission: The Moon"||Douglas Einar Olsen||Nick Rutherford||April 16, 2015|
|Axe Cop takes Flute Cop on his first Night Mission where they encounter the Vampire Man Baby Kid. Upon befriending the Vampire Man Baby Kid, Axe Cop, Flute Cop, and Wexter head to the Moon to confront his vampire father that bit him where they come across a plot by his Moon Person mother to get the Moon to the Super Moon phase so that the Moon People can become Super Werewolves and attack Earth.|
|14||2||"Heads Will Roll"||Aldin Baroza, Chase Conley, and Douglas Einar Olsen||M.E. Willis||April 23, 2015|
|Following the fight against Goo-rilla with the help of some Ice Vikings from the year 1066, Axe Cop is arrested for breaking the laws and is incarcerated in the local prison. Once their, the creepy warden allows Axe Cop to chop the heads off of the inmates. Flute Cop later discovers that the warden is using the heads to grow his own henchmen so that he can sell them to every supervillain that needs loyal henchmen.|
|15||3||"Bald Cop"||Aldin Baroza, Chase Conley, Mike McCraw, and Douglas Einar Olsen||Nick Rutherford||April 30, 2015|
|Axe Cop goes into hiding upon receiving a letter from Hell Chicken stating that he knows his secret of wearing his hat to cover his baldness and flees to Secret Town. With Axe Cop out of commission, Hell Chicken begins his plan to cause the Hell Chicken Zombie Apocalypse. With help from a dream involving his childhood hero Uncle Axe, Axe Cop must return to action to free Flute Cop, Sockarang, Gray Diamond, Liborg, and Wexter from the effects of the Hell Chicken Zombie Apocalypse.|
- Nick Offerman - Axe Cop/Axey Smartist
- Ken Marino - Flute Cop/Flutey Smartist, Fife Cop (ep. 3)
- Rob Huebel - Gray Diamond
- Megan Mullally - Anita, Mrs. G. (ep. 1), Joanie (ep. 1), Isabella M. (ep. 2), Queen of England (ep. 2), Book Cop's Mom (ep. 3), Axe Cop's Mom (ep. 5), Tracy (ep. 8), Waitress (ep. 9)
- Patton Oswalt - Sockarang, Stockarang (ep. 3)
- Tyler, The Creator - Liborg, Chief of Police (ep. 7)
- James Adomian - Book Cop's Dad (ep. 3), Magic Cop (ep. 4)
- Jane Adams - Red-Headed Woman (ep. 8)
- Dave Allen -
- Dee Bradley Baker - Vampire Man Baby Kid (ep. 13)
- Maria Bamford -
- Jonathan Banks - Book Cop (ep. 3), Radio DJ (ep. 4)
- Raymond J. Barry - Bad Santa (ep. 5)
- Todd Barry - Dinosaur Horn Store Salesman (ep. 1), Todd (ep. 6)
- Beck Bennett - Boy's Father (ep. 6)
- Travis Bowe -
- Betsy Brandt -
- Alison Brie - Beautiful Girly Bobs (ep. 12)
- Jerrod Carmichael - Guy on Car (ep. 4)
- Michael Chiklis -
- Charley Damski - Alien Lab Worker (ep. 1)
- Giancarlo Esposito - Army Chihuahua
- Dan Harmon - Uni-Man, Magic Show Audience Member (ep. 4)
- Dennis Haysbert - Frog (ep. 8)
- Jared Harris - King of England (ep. 3)
- Dave Jeser -
- Vincent Kartheiser - Bat Warthog Man
- Udo Kier - Warden (ep. 14)
- Al LeVine -
- Michael Madsen - Baby Man
- Hunter Maki - Young Flutey Smartist (ep. 11)
- Cullen McCarthy - Young Axey Smartist (ep. 11), Young Ray (ep. 11)
- Jack McGee - Turkey Turkey (ep. 10)
- Scoot McNairy - Scoot (ep. 9, 15)
- Ben Mendelsohn - Ben (ep. 9, 15)
- Chris Messina -
- Alfred Molina - Vampire Man Baby Kid's Father (ep. 13)
- Ethan Nicolle - Chubby Doll (ep. 4), Merman (ep. 5)
- Malachai Nicolle - Opening Narration
- Mike O'Malley - Ray (ep. 11)
- Jordan Peele - Super Axe (ep. 8)
- Alex Rubin - Kid (ep. 6)
- Peter Serafinowicz - Dr. Doo Doo (ep. 2), Adolf Hitler (ep. 2), Chemist M. (ep. 2), Redcoat (ep. 3), Boy (ep. 6), Rabbit Ghost (ep. 6)
- Matt Silverstein -
- Valery Summey - Poison (ep. 4)
- Joe Unger - Police Officer (ep. 9), Farmer (ep. 10)
- Deborah Ann Woll - Best Fairy Ever (ep. 12)
- "'Animation Domination High-Def' Featuring the Debuts of 'Axe Cop' and 'High School USA!' to Preview in Primetime Sunday July 21 on FOX". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Nicolle, Ethan (March 31, 2013). "Animated Series Trailer!". AxeCop.com. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- VanDerWerff, Todd (2013-08-09). "The heads of Fox’s Animation Domination High-Def weigh in on the future of TV animation". A.V. Club. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Sullivan, Brian (August 1, 2013). "FOX's Animation Domination HD Extends 'Axe Cop', 'High School USA!'". The Futon Critic. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (July 23, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Big Brother' Adjusted Up; 'Crossing Lines' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (July 28, 2013). "FOX's Animation Domination High Def Premieres Strong In Late-Night". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 8, 2013). "FOX's 'Animation Domination High-Def' Week 2 Steady in Adults 18-49 Ratings, Up in Teens". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 15, 2013). "FOX's 'Animation Domination High Def' Ratings Rise 23 Percent Among Adults 18-49 in Week 3". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Shows A-Z - axe cop on fox". Futon Critic. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- Fitzpatrick, Kevin (January 8, 2013). "FOX RELEASES ‘AXE COP’ VOICE CAST, SETS SATURDAY ANIMATION DOMINATION HD PREMIERE". ScreenCrush. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- John (May 14, 2013). "This is what @PattonOswalt 's character looks like in @FOXADHD 's @AxeCop! Plus more!". Bubbleblabber. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- John (May 31, 2013). "First Look!: Tyler, the Creator (@fucktyler) is Liborg for @AxeCop on @FOXADHD". Bubbleblabber. Retrieved June 1, 2013.