Axe Cop (TV series)
|Created by||Malachai Nicolle
Ethan Nicolle (original webcomic)
|Developed by||Nick Weidenfield
|Creative director(s)||Ben Jones|
|Voices of||Nick Offerman
Tyler, The Creator
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Nick Weidenfeld
Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein
|Running time||11 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Friends Night
|Original run||July 21, 2013– November 30, 2013|
Axe Cop is an animated series based on the webcomic of the same name. It premiered on Fox on July 21, 2013, as a part of the channel's Animation Domination HD programming block. The series consisted of 12 11-minute episodes in its first season. 
Similar to the web-comic, the series features the titular police officer Axe Cop, his partner Flute Cop, and their allies Sockarang, Liborg, Grey Diamond, Bat Warthog Man, and Wexter as they fight various "bad guys" and avoid getting into conflict with the Normal Police.
Axe Cop is a popular web comic that was created by Ethan Nicolle and his young brother Malachai (five years old at the time of its creation). In playing with Malachai, Ethan found that his brother had a vivid and disjointed imagination, and developed the comic by taking the stories that Malachai told, refining the story to some point without losing Malachai's inventiveness, and drawing the comic around it. The web comic became very popular, leading to publishing deals with Dark Horse Comics for larger comic-book-sized stories.
The development of the Axe Cop series started from a conversation that Offerman had with the ADHD producer Nick Weidenfeld some years before the program's debut. Offerman talked with Weidenfeld about the Axe Cop comic and stated that if a show was to be made from it, Offerman wanted to participate. Weidenfeld took the idea to Phil Lord and Chris Miller, also fans of the web comic, and they asked Weidenfeld to lead the project, stating that it "has to be emotional", in Weidenfeld's words. As Lord and Miller were working on 21 Jump Street at the time, they suggested Weidenfeld turn to Judah Miller for directional help. Weidenfeld and Miller arranged for a retreat along with writers Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein, voice actors Ken Marino, Patton Oswalt, and Offerman, and the comic creator Ethan Nicolle, where the group discussed their favorite parts of the comic and how to translate it into a show, keeping all the moments that are "100-percent pure Malachai". As they started to write some of the show's plots, they found themselves with narrative dead ends; Ethan used these moments to contact Malachai, explain the story so far and have Malachai provide the missing narrative. Malachai also provided additional advice during the animation process for the shorts when he visited the studios, such as insisting that Zombie Island be set in space, a tangent that the writers and animators quickly agreed with for its illogical humorous value and included in the short.
Season 1 (2013)
On August 1, 2013, Fox ordered 6 additional episodes, bringing the season to a total of 12 episodes.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||1||"Night Mission: Stealing Friends Back"||David Stephan||Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein||July 21, 2013||103||2.42|
|The King of Bad Guys has stolen all of Bat Warthog Man's friends and Axe Cop leads a mission to get them back where he and Bat Warthog Man meet Grey Diamond, Army Chihuahua, and Liborg while learning about their history along the way. Axe Cop's plan to rescue the captive friends involves poisoned soda on the King of Bad Guy's minions and a horn that summons dinosaurs from Dinosaur Planet.|
|2||2||"Zombie Island... In Space"||LeSean Thomas||Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein||July 27, 2013||106||1.5|
|During World War II, Adolf Hitler kidnaps an English scientist named Chemist M and forces him to create an army of unstoppable zombies on Zombie Island in Space. In the present, Chemist M's daughter enlists Axe Cop, Flute Cop, and Wexter to rescue her father from Zombie Island in Space. Upon arrival, they find Chemist M as a zombie following his search for a formula that turns zombies good and also uncover a plan by Chemist M's sentient poop named Dr. Doodoo who plans to marry the Queen of England and make everyone poop themselves.|
|3||3||"An American Story"||Tyree Dillihay & Chase Conley||Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein||August 3, 2013||104||1.1|
|At the Independence Day picnic, Axe Cop tells his friends and the people present at the picnic the story of how his ancestor Book Cop did battle with the King of England to retrieve the stolen Secret Attack Almanac during the American Revolutionary War.|
|4||4||"Babysitting Unibaby"||Chase Conley||Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein||August 10, 2013||105||1.2|
|Flute Cop and his wife Anita are on vacation in Hawaii, and Axe Cop is looking after Unibaby (whose unicorn horn possesses great magical power) while they're away. Upon creating robot duplicates of themselves to watch over Unibaby, Axe Cop and Sockarang take a quick trip to Magic Planet (a planet of magicians) and find themselves having to fight off the Magic Cops while meeting Chubby Doll. Afterwards, Axe Cop, Sockarang, and Chubby Doll end up fighting the Axe Cop Robot and Sockarang Robot when they turn evil.|
|5||5||"Birthday Month"||Chase Conley||Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein||August 17, 2013||102|
|Axe Cop's birthday (which he's celebrating all month) starts off badly when he inadvertently kills some good mermen (whose smiles he mistook as evil smiles) while at the beach. But it improves when he has the chance to kill the man who killed Axe Cop's parents....Bad Santa (the evil brother of Good Santa). Upon arriving at South Pole Planet, Axe Cop must fight Bad Santa before he can raid Heaven and overthrow God.|
|6||6||"The Rabbit Who Broke All the Rules"||Chase Conley||Nick Rutherford||August 24, 2013||101|
|To raise money for his headquarters, Axe Cop becomes a foster father for a mysterious young boy. While Axe Cop, Flute Cop, Gray Diamond, Sockarang, Liborg, and Wexter run a camp for young children and dinosaurs, Axe Cop is unaware that the boy is possessed by the ghost of Axe Cop's first kill.....an unconventional rabbit who broke the rabbit rules by walking on it's hind legs and eating coconuts.|
|7||7||"No More Bad Guys"||Douglas Einar Olsen||Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein||November 2, 2013||108|
|Axe Cop has killed all the bad guys on Earth, meaning only one thing: he and his team of crime fighters need to find new jobs. Baby Man gets a hold of Unibaby's horn and wishes that he was a bad guy so that he can get even with Axe Cop for rejecting him at the tryouts for his group. It's up to Flute Cop to save Axe Cop and reclaim Unibaby's horn.|
|8||8||"Super Axe"||Douglas Einar Olsen||Nick Rutherford||November 9, 2013||109|
|While on vacation, Axe Cop must convince his old college buddy Super Axe to go on one last adventure to save the world by traveling back in time to stop the Red-Headed Woman (whose sons were killed by Axe Cop) from making all life on Earth evil.|
|9||9||"When Night Creatures Attack"||Chase Conley||Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein||November 16, 2013||107|
|Axe Cop and Flute Cop track down the Sun Thieves before the world is torn apart by Night Creatures that are abducting babies.|
|10||10||"28 Days Before"||Aldin Baroza & Matthew Long||Nick Rutherford||November 23, 2013||110|
|It's Thanksgiving and Axe Cop hasn't been seen since Halloween following their fight with Turkey Turkey (who had stolen all the Halloween candy). How will his team celebrate Thanksgiving without him?|
|11||11||"Taxi Cop"||Aldin Baroza||Dave Jeser & Matt Silverstein||November 30, 2013||112|
|Young Axe Cop and Flute Cop grow up to run a taxi company, just falling short of their childhood dreams of becoming crime fighters. They become cops where they save Uni-Man from some robbers. Axe Cop and Flute Cop then come to the aid of Uni-Man when Fatsozon plans to detonate the bombs within Earth from his location on Uni-Planet.|
|12||12||"The Dumb List"||Chase Conley||Nick Weidenfeld||November 30, 2013||111|
|Following the slaying of Evil Rhino Man, Axe Cop is forced to let a girl join the team even though he has put all girls on the "Dumb List." He ends up enlisting a fairy named Best Fairy Ever from "Fairy Wars" who comes in handy at the time when Axe Cop fights a group of cheerleaders called the Beautiful Girly Bobs that he denied membership on his team.|
- Nick Offerman - Axe Cop/Axey Smartist
- Ken Marino - Flute Cop/Flutey Smartist
- Tyler, The Creator - Liborg
- Rob Huebel - Gray Diamond
- Megan Mullally - Anita, Additional Female Characters
- Patton Oswalt - Sockarang
- Jane Adams - Red-Headed Woman
- Dave Allen -
- Raymond J. Barry - Bad Santa
- Jonathan Banks - Book Cop
- Beck Bennett - Boy's Father
- Alison Brie -
- Giancarlo Esposito - Army Chihuahua
- Dan Harmon - Uni-Man
- Dennis Haysbert - Frog
- Jared Harris - King of England
- Vincent Kartheiser - Bat Warthog Man
- Michael Madsen - Baby Man
- Ethan Nicolle - Chubby Doll
- Jack McGee - Turkey Turkey
- Mike O'Malley - Ray
- Jordan Peele - Super Axe
- Peter Serafinowicz - Dr. Doo Doo, Adolf Hitler
- Joe Unger -
- "'Animation Domination High-Def' Featuring the Debuts of 'Axe Cop' and 'High School USA!' to Preview in Primetime Sunday July 21 on FOX". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Nicolle, Ethan (March 31, 2013). "Animated Series Trailer!". AxeCop.com. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- VanDerWerff, Todd (2013-08-09). "The heads of Fox’s Animation Domination High-Def weigh in on the future of TV animation". A.V. Club. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Sullivan, Brian (August 1, 2013). "FOX's Animation Domination HD Extends "Axe Cop," "High School USA!"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (July 23, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Big Brother' Adjusted Up; 'Crossing Lines' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (July 28, 2013). "FOX's Animation Domination High Def Premieres Strong In Late-Night". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 8, 2013). "FOX's 'Animation Domination High-Def' Week 2 Steady in Adults 18-49 Ratings, Up in Teens". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 15, 2013). "FOX's 'Animation Domination High Def' Ratings Rise 23 Percent Among Adults 18-49 in Week 3". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Shows A-Z - axe cop on fox". Futon Critic. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- Fitzpatrick, Kevin (January 8, 2013). "FOX RELEASES ‘AXE COP’ VOICE CAST, SETS SATURDAY ANIMATION DOMINATION HD PREMIERE". ScreenCrush. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- John (May 31, 2013). "First Look!: Tyler, the Creator (@fucktyler) is Liborg for @AxeCop on @FOXADHD". Bubbleblabber. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- John (May 14, 2013). "This is what @PattonOswalt 's character looks like in @FOXADHD 's @AxeCop! Plus more!". Bubbleblabber. Retrieved June 1, 2013.