The town centre (dark green) and the statistical district (light green) of Axel in the municipality of Terneuzen.
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
In 2001, the town of Axel had 7421 inhabitants. The built-up area of the town was 1.9 km², and contained 3408 residences. The statistical area "Axel", which also can include the surrounding countryside, has a population of around 8190.
Axel received city rights in 1213.
A railroad, connecting Terneuzen and Sint-Niklaas, once ran through the city.
Until 2003, Axel was a separate municipality.
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Axel". Map of the former municipality in 1868.
- Mayors of Axel 1581 - 1800
- Aldermen of Axel 1492 - 1746
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Bevolkingskernen in Nederland 2001. (Statistics are for the continuous built-up area).
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Statline: Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2003-2005. As of 1 January 2005.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Axel.|
|This article about a location in Zeeland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|