||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
Axwell at Melbourne, 2007.
|Birth name||Axel Christofer Hedfors|
|Born||18 December 1977|
|Genres||House, Progressive House|
|Occupations||DJ, remixer, record producer|
|Instruments||music sequencer, synthesizers, drum machine|
|Labels||Axtone (2005–present) Data Records (2006–present) Soulfuric Recordings (2002–2005)
also released through Ministry of Sound
Ministry of Sound Australia
|Associated acts||Swedish House Mafia, Tara McDonald, Steve Edwards, Max C, Dirty South, Sebastian Ingrosso, Bob Sinclair|
Axwell (born as Axel Christofer Hedfors; 18 December 1977) is a Swedish DJ, remixer, record producer and record label owner. He is one third of what once was the Swedish House Mafia along with Sebastian Ingrosso and Steve Angello. In 2011 he was placed 23rd on the DJ Magazine Top 100 DJ Poll.
Axwell's interest in music appeared at an early age, having taught himself to play the drums by age nine. Four years later, the 13 year old exchanged his drums for a computer so he could create each element of his music independently. By late 2004, Axwell released a global hit, "Feel the Vibe", which was re-released under Ministry of Sound in 2005 with lead vocals from Tara McDonald as "Feel the Vibe ('Til The Morning Comes)" co written by Tara McDonald and Tom Kent. It peaked at #1 in UK Dance Singles Chart & #16 in the UK Singles Chart #16 Finland #62 The Netherlands #4 France club chart in August 2005.
Also leading the way has been Mambana, his collaboration with Isabel Fructuoso (of Afro Medusa fame). Signed to Soulfuric Recordings, they have released three tracks since 2002. "No Reason" was their debut single, which hit the top spot in all the Hype/Buzz charts that Summer and was featured in the sets of all the top DJs including Little Louie Vega, Danny Rampling and Ben Watt. The follow ups were "Felicidad" and "Libre". "Libre" was released in 2003 and was arguably bigger than its predecessor. "Libre" was licensed to more than 12 different territories and featured on compilations that sold in excess of half a million copies.
Axwell has also been responsible for Jetlag's "So Right", which came out in September 2002 on Soulfuric, featuring the vocals of Noel McKoy and co-produced with Brian Tappert. In late 2002 Axwell went back to his roots and produced a track under his own name - "Lead Guitar" which was released by fellow Swede Stonebridge on his Stoney Boy imprint.
2003 saw Axwell recording for London based label suSU (the UK home of Masters at Work) under the guise of Starbeach. The track was called "Get Naked" & featured the vocal talents of D'Empress (from Mutiny). This was followed up by his version of Evelyn Thomas' classic "High Energy". In the autumn of 2003 Axwell's "Wait a Minute", featuring the vocals of Nevada, was released on Soulfuric's sub-label Device. This song was a club smash that gained support from the likes of Pete Tong, Junior Jack, Kid Creme.
In between all this, Axwell has been producing remixes for other artists - recent mixes have included Usher's "Burn" (BMG), Room 5's "Make Luv" (Positiva), Clipse & Faith Evans "Ma, I Don’t Love Her" (RCA), Stonebridge's "Put 'em High" (Hed Kandi), N*E*R*D's single "Maybe" (Virgin), and more recently Hard-Fi's "Hard to Beat", Deep Dish's "Dreams", Pharrell's "Angel", Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous" and Madonna's "Jump".
In addition to a re-release of "Feel the Vibe" on Ministry of Sound, he has produced several club remixes, as well as his own productions, including "Get Over Here" by Rasmus Faber, "2 Million Ways" by C-Mos, "Turn On the Music" by Roger Sanchez, as well as his collaboration with Sebastian Ingrosso on Ernesto vs Bastian's "Dark Side of the Moon". Alongside his original productions, he collaborated with the Swedish producer Ingrosso on "Together". Axwell's most successful release of 2005 was "Watch the Sunrise", with Steve Edwards on vocals (famous for Cassius' "The Sound of Violence"). The track reached #3 in UK Dance Singles Chart and BBC Radio 1 Dance Chart. In between Axwell's productions he also found time to create Axtone, his own record label.
In the spring of 2006, Axwell and Steve Angello, under the Supermode alias, remixed Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy", producing "Tell Me Why". It was released under the Data label. Later, he teamed up with Eric Prydz and produced the tracks 123 and 321 releasing them under the alias Axer.
That same year, Axwell branched into a New York house sound with his mix of "Counting Down the Days", a dance pop song by Sunfreakz. Axwell ignored the vocals (sung by Andrea Britton) for his mix, which was a blend of cutting progressive-house sounds and ethereal keyboards. The Israeli DJ Offer Nissim featured the mix prominently during his set at the March 2007 closing party for Manhattan's Roxy.
On 12 August 2007, Axwell, Steve Angello and Sebastian Ingrosso played the Main Room at Cream Amnesia under the alias The Swedish House Mafia as part of Radio 1's Essential Mix Ibiza. The live set received rave reviews.
Axwell co-wrote and co-produced the song "Rain on Me" with Cyndi Lauper for her 2008 album Bring Ya to the Brink and after co-produced the song "Steroids" with Softwell. In June 2008, he released a song which was originally produced as a remix for David Guetta's "Everytime We Touch". Somehow, Guetta rejected the remix so Axwell took the instrumental of the song, teamed up with Bob Sinclar who brought in vocalist Ron Carroll and together they created "What a Wonderful World". In August of the same year, Axwell collaborated with an Australian DJ and producer, Dirty South, and released "Open Your Heart". At the same time, he also remixed "Hometown Glory" by Adele. The remix was released in two versions, "Original mix" with more vocals and more club oriented "Remode".
On 24 April 2012, Axwell's remix of "In My Mind" by Ivan Gough and Feenixpawl featuring Georgi Kay was released on Beatport, and then was nominated for the 55th Grammy Awards for the category of Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical.
Following the Swedish House Mafia:s farewell, Axwell and former SHM member Sebastian Ingrosso announced on 17 April 2013, their new side-project "Departures". They will appear at Ushuaia, Ibiza, June 12th.
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: non use of wikitable(s); formatting issues; excessive detail. (February 2013)|
- 1999 "Funkboy"
- 2000 "Jazz Player"
- 2000 "Pull Over"
- 2002 "Black Pony" (with StoneBridge as Playmarker)
- 2002 "Lead Guitar"
- 2002 "Burning" (with Robbie Rivera)
- 2003 "Burning - The Remixes" (with Robbie Rivera)
- 2003 "High Energy" (feat. Evelyn Thomas)
- 2003 "Wait A Minute" (with Nevada Cato)
- 2004 "Feel the Vibe" (feat. Errol Reid)
- 2005 "Feel the Vibe (Til the Morning Comes)" (feat. Errol Reid and Tara McDonald)
- 2005 "Together" (with Sebastian Ingrosso feat. Michael Feiner)
- 2005 "Watch the Sunrise" (feat. Steve Edwards) #70 UK
- 2007 "I Found U" (feat. Max'C) #6 UK
- 2007 "Get Dumb" (with Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso and Laidback Luke)
- 2007 "It's True" (with Sebastian Ingrosso vs. Salem Al Fakir)
- 2007 "Submariner"
- 2008 "What a Wonderful World" (with Bob Sinclar feat. Ron Carroll)
- 2008 "Open Your Heart" (with Dirty South feat. Rudy[disambiguation needed])
- 2009 "Leave the World Behind" (feat. Deborah Cox with Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso and Laidback Luke)
- 2010 "One" (as Swedish House Mafia)
- 2010 "Nothing but Love for You' feat. Errol Reid
- 2010 "Miami 2 Ibiza" (as Swedish House Mafia feat. Tinie Tempah)
- 2011 "Heart is King"
- 2011 "Save the World" (as Swedish House Mafia feat. John Martin)
- 2011 "Antidote" (as Swedish House Mafia vs. Knife Party)
- 2012 "Greyhound" (as Swedish House Mafia)
- 2012 "Wild Ones" (producer)
- 2012 "Don't You Worry Child" (as Swedish House Mafia)
- 2013 "Center of the Universe" (feat. Magnus Carlson)
Unreleased Singles 
- Unknown "Axwell ft. Richard Archer - Think About It"
- 2012 "Axwell & Sebastian Ingrosso - We come, we rave, we love
DJ mix albums 
- 2010: Axwell Presents Axtone Acapellas, Vol. 1
- 2010: Axwell Presents Axtone Vol. 1
- 2010: Until One (as Swedish House Mafia)
- 2012: Axtone Presents Thomas Gold Compilation
- 2012: Until Now (as Swedish House Mafia)
Official remixes 
- 2000: Domenicer - Dolce Marmellata
- 2000: Elena Valente - Love Is
- 2000: Juni Juliet - Back in My Arms
- 2000: Da Buzz - Let Me Love You
- 2000: Tin Pan Alley - My Love Has Got a Gun
- 2000: Antiloop - Only U
- 2000: Stonebridge feat. Dayeene - I Like
- 2000: Lutricia McNeal - Sodapop
- 2001: Cape - L.O.V.E
- 2001: Bikini - Nite&Day
- 2001: EasyStreet feat. Nevada - Be with You
- 2001: Sahlene - House
- 2001: MixMaster - Latin Session
- 2001: Murcielago - Los Americanos
- 2001: LoveSelective - El Bimbo Latino
- 2001: MowRee - Luv Is Not to Win
- 2001: Mendez - Blanca!
- 2001: OceanSpirit - Bourbon Street
- 2001: Waako - I Get Lifted
- 2001: MixMaster & Axwell - Summerbreeze
- 2002: Enamor - I Believe
- 2002: Mendez - Adrenaline
- 2002: Michelle Wilson - Love Connection
- 2002: L'Stelle - Let It Go
- 2002: Playmaker - Black Pony
- 2002: Mendez - No Criminal
- 2002: Robbie Rivera - Burning
- 2002: Deli pres. Demetreus - BetterLove
- 2002: Afro Angel - Join Me Brother
- 2002: Soulsearcher - Feelin' Love
- 2002: Room 5 - Make Luv
- 2003: Clipse feat. Faith Evans - Ma, I Don't Love Her
- 2003: The Attic - Destiny
- 2003: Souledz - You Can't Hide Your Love
- 2003: Eric Prydz - Slammin'
- 2004: Mia Taylor - Shine
- 2004: Usher - Burn
- 2004: DJ Flex - Love 4 U
- 2005: Rasmus Faber - Get Over Here
- 2005: Average White Band - Let's Go Round Again
- 2005: C-Mos - 2 Million Ways
- 2005: Jerry Ropero & Dennis the Menace - Coração
- 2005: Roger Sanchez - Turn on the Music
- 2005: Hard Fi - Hard to Beat
- 2005: Ernesto vs. Bastian - Dark Side of the Moon (with Sebastian Ingrosso)
- 2005: Deep Dish feat. Stevie Nicks - Dreams
- 2005: Pharrell - Angel
- 2006: Bob Sinclar - World, Hold On
- 2006: Lorraine - Transatlantic Flight
- 2006: Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous
- 2006: Moby and Mylène Farmer - Slipping Away (Crier la Vie)
- 2006: Madonna - Jump
- 2006: Sunfreakz - Counting Down the Days
- 2007: Bob Sinclar - Feel for You
- 2007: Faithless - Music Matters
- 2007: Dirty South - Let It Go
- 2008: Hard Fi - I Shall Overcome
- 2008: TV Rock feat. Rudy - Been a Long Time
- 2008: Adele - Hometown Glory
- 2008: Abel Ramos & Miss Melody - Rotterdam City of Love (Re-Edit of Original Mix)
- 2009: TV Rock feat. Rudy - In the Air
- 2009: The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition (With Dirty South)
- 2010: Prok & Fitch feat. Nanchang Nancy - Walk with Me (With Daddy's Groove)
- 2010: Adrian Lux - Teenage Crime
- 2010: Adrian Lux - Teenage Crime (Remode with Henrik. B)
- 2011: Hard Rock Sofa & St. Brothers - Blow Up (with Thomas Gold)
- 2011: David Tort feat. Gosha - One Look (Axwell vs. Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike Mix)
- 2011: Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall (Swedish House Mafia Remix)
- 2011: Michael Calfan - Resurrection (Axwell Re-Edit)
- 2012: Ivan Gough & Feenixpawl ft. Georgi Kay – In My Mind (Axwell Mix)
- 2013: Discopolis - Falling (Committed To Sparkle Motion) (Axwell Remix)
Swedish House Mafia 
- 2009 "Leave the World Behind" (with Laidback Luke / feat. Deborah Cox)
- 2010 "One / "One (Your Name)" (feat. Pharrell)
- 2010 "Miami 2 Ibiza"
- 2011 "Save the World" (feat. John Martin)
- 2011 "Antidote" (with Knife Party)
- 2011 "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" (with Coldplay)
- 2012 "Greyhound"
- 2012 "Don't You Worry Child" (feat. John Martin)
- 2012 Euphoria (Usher - Prod. by Swedish House Mafia)
- all are collaborations with Isabel Fructuoso
- 2001 "No Reason"
- 2003 "Libre"
- 2004 "Felicidad"
- 2004 "Libre 2005 - The Remixes"
- 2005 "Felicidad 2005 - The Remixes"
- all songs released as Quazar / Sanxion are available as free public domain downloads from ftp.modland.com
- 1995 "CoMMANDER" (Direct download: comm.s3m.zip)
- 1995 "Stars on Earth"
- 1995 "When we Rise"
- 1996 "At the Morgue"
- 1996 "Hybrid Song (Funky Stars)" (This Song was used by Swedish Software cracking group Hybrid in their cracktro for the videogame "Worms 2")
- 1997 "Dubbeldist"
- 1997 "Pure Instinct"
- 1995 "Tranquility"
- 1996 "Output"
- 1997 "Pulze"
- 2001 Pump
Other aliases 
- 2001 "High Priestess" remix (by Tropical Deep), as Soulplayaz
- 2002 "What Would You Do / You Set Me Free", as Soulplayaz
- 2005 "I Get Lifted", as Soulplayaz
- 2002 "So Right", as Jetlag (with Patrick's Imagination)
- 2003 "Heart of Mine", as Mahogany People
- 2003 "Get Naked", as Starbeach
- 2006 "Tell Me Why", as Supermode (with Steve Angello) (#13 UK, #5 Netherlands)
- 2006 "123 / 321", as Axer (with Eric Prydz)
Awards and nominations 
Grammy Awards 
|2011||"Sweet Disposition" (Axwell & Dirty South Remix)||Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical||Nominated|
|2012||"Save The World"||Best Dance Recording||Nominated|
|2013||"Don't You Worry Child" (feat. John Martin)||Best Dance Recording||Nominated|
|"In My Mind" (Axwell Remix)||Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical||Nominated|
|Beatport Music Awards: Best House Artist
|Beatport Music Awards: Best Remix - Dirty South - Let It Go (Axwell Remix)
|Beatport Music Awards: Best House Artist
See also 
- List of Number 1 Dance Hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart
- Official website
- Axwell on Myspace
- Axwell on Facebook
- Axwell on Twitter
- Czech fansite
- Axwell Live in Antwerp and Amsterdam 2012