|Born||August 15 1983 (age 30)
|Relatives||See Mukherjee-Samarth family|
Ayan Mukerji (or Mukherjee) (Bengali: অয়ন মুখার্জি) born in Kolkata, West Bengal is an Indian film director and actor who made his directorial debut at the age of 26 with Karan Johar's Wake Up Sid, a 2009 Bollywood film which opened to strong reviews and box office returns.
Early life and background
Mukerji was born on 15th August 1983 in a Bengali Brahmin family. He is the son of Bengali film actorDeb Mukherjee. His grandfather Sashadhar Mukherjee, was film producer, who established Filmalaya Studios in Mumbai, and produced films like Dil Deke Dekho (1959), Love in Simla (1960), Ek Musafir Ek Hasina (1962) and Leader (1964). The studio is still run by his extended family. He is also the nephew of Joy Mukherjee and the first cousin of Kajol and Tanisha Mukherjee and second cousin of Rani Mukherjee and part of the larger Mukherjee-Samarth family.
Mukherjee started his career as an assistant to Ashutosh Gowariker, who is his brother in law, on the 2004 film, Swades, and later to Johar on Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. After taking a short break from filmmaking, Mukerji wrote the screenplay for Wake Up Sid and gave it to Johar who decided it should become a film. The film starred Konkona Sen Sharma and Ranbir Kapoor in lead roles and went on to become a commercial and critical success.
Mukerji's next film, which is also under Karan Johar's banner Dharma Productions, was Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani, and stars Deepika Padukone and Ranbir Kapoor in lead roles. It is a huge commercial success. The movie has crossed 100 crore in the box office in just 7 days.
As of October 2013, Mukerji's next project is scheduled to be direction of a superhero film starring Ranbir Kapoor.
|2009||Wake Up Sid||Filmfare Award for Best Debut Director|
|2013||Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani|
- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (cameo appearance)
- Luck by Chance (2009) - Special Thanks credit
- Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (cameo appearance)
- Home Delivery (2005) (cameo appearance)
- Besharam - Special Thanks credit
2010: Filmfare Awards
- Wake Up Sid wows critics and masses alike!
- Taran Adarsh (3 October 2009). "B.O. update: 'Wake Up Sid', 'Do Knot Disturb' bring cheer". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- "Ayan Mukherjee wants to remake grandpa's 'Love in Simla'". The Times Of India. May 17, 2013. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Waking up Ayan". MiD DAY. August 12, 2009. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "In pics: Bollywood's Mukherjee-Samarth family tree". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- :::: Time Out Mumbai- city guide and fortnightly listing magazine ::::
- "Trade Report Wake Up Sid wows critics and masses alike!". Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Iyer, Meena (21 September 2011). "Deepika, Ranbir together again". The Times Of India. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Ranbir, Deepika share amicable equation: Ayan Mukerji". Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- 3 Idiots shines at Filmfare Awards
- Ayan Mukerji at the Internet Movie Database
- Waking up Ayan
- "Somewhere in Wake up Sid, are bits and pieces of my life" - Ayan Mukerji
- Forever young
- Video interview
|This article about an Indian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|