Ayer's Cliff, Quebec
Location within Memphrémagog RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||February 4, 1909|
|• Mayor||Alec van Zuiden|
|• Federal riding||Compton—Stanstead|
|• Prov. riding||Orford|
|• Total||5.50 km2 (2.12 sq mi)|
|• Land||5.60 km2 (2.16 sq mi)|
|There is an apparent
contradiction between two
|• Density||197.9/km2 (513/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||1.2%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0B 1C0|
|Highways|| Route 141
Ayer's Cliff (2011 population 1,109) is a village municipality in the Memphrémagog Regional County Municipality in the Estrie region of Quebec. It is located just north of the Vermont/Canada border, on Lake Massawippi, near the mouth of the Tomifobia River.
In the early 1910s and 1920s a number of wealthy Americans built summer estates in Ayer's Cliff. These included the railroad mogul Charles Keller Beekman, Chicago attorney David Leavitt Hough, Charles W. Parker, and George Fuller Parker, a close friend of President Grover Cleveland.
Ayer's Cliff still maintains a large anglophone population, with roots going back to the late 18th century. Today, Ayer's Cliff and the surrounding region are home to a combination of seasonal and year-round residents. The village is the site of Ripplecove Inn, a world-renowned luxury resort featured on CTV Travel's Most Romantic Hideaways.
The annual Ayer's Cliff Fair has been a popular gathering place for Eastern Townshippers since 1845. It is a multi-day event that includes animal shows, rides, attractions and entertainment for all.
|Both English and French||25||2.39%|
|Both English and French||15||1.40%|
- During the 1930s, multi-millionaire sportsman Foxhall P. Keene maintained a seasonal residence in Ayer's Cliff where he died in 1941.
- American novelist and essayist Upton Sinclair also spent time in Ayer's Cliff in the 1930s.
- Reference number 142204 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Geographic code 45035 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (French)
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: COMPTON--STANSTEAD (Quebec)
- "(Code 2445035) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Ayer's Cliff, Quebec
- 2011 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Ayer's Cliff, Quebec