||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (April 2014)|
|Member of the European Parliament|
1 July 2014
|Born||13 January 1969|
|Fields||Political science, Geopolitics, Geohistory|
|Alma mater||Institute of Political Studies (Paris)|
|Influences||Fernand Braudel, François Thual|
Aymeric Chauprade (born 13 January 1969), is a French writer, political scientist and politician for Front National. A student and disciple of François Thual, he is an advocate of the "realpolitik" school of thought, which promotes a pragmatic approach to geopolitical issues.[clarification needed] He was elected member of the European Parliament for the National Front in the Île-de-France circumscription during the 2014 European Parliament election.
Doctor in political science in 2001 (Paris Descartes University), a graduate of Paris Institute of Political Studies in 1993, Aymeric Chauprade obtained a Master of International Law in 1996. Furthermore he graduated in mathematics, he is a lecturer in geopolitics at the Royal College of Higher Military Education of the Kingdom of Morocco, director of the Revue française de géopolitique (French Review of Geopolitics (annual, Ellipses, Paris)) and director of several collections published by Ellipses in Paris (Grands enjeux, Taupe-Niveau, Référence géopolitique... High Stakes, Taupe-Niveau, geopolitical Reference...). From 2003 to 2009 he was a lecturer at the University of Neuchâtel in Switzerland (history of political ideas). He taught at the Collège interarmées de défense (CID: French Joint Defense College) where since 1999 he is in charge of geopolitics courses.
He is also a contributor to the magazine L'Afrique réelle (Real Africa) of the historian of Africa Bernard Lugan, continues to work for La Nouvelle Revue d'Histoire of Dominique Venner and regularly speaks on Radio Courtoisie. He dedicated his book Géopolitique, constantes et changements dans l'histoire (Geopolitics, constants and changes in history) to the trainee students of Collège interarmées de défense. He is also a higher officer in the French Naval Reserve.
Following the publication of his book Chronique du choc des civilisations ("Chronicle of the clash of civilizations"), Aymeric Chauprade was accused by the French journalist Jean Guisnel of expressing indulgence concerning September 11 conspiracy theories. This earned him, at the beginning of February 2009, being deprived of his chair at the Joint Defense College, by an express decision of the supervising Minister Hervé Morin.
During this controversy, Aymeric Chauprade (which filed a complaint against the Minister as well as against the newspaper Le Point) received support from CID students, from his former university professor Edmond Jouve, while the head of CID Vincent Desportes, expressing reservations over the writings in question, admits that he has never been proselytized in his courses, has never expressed his vision of the world.
A website expressing support to the geopolitical analyst was also established. On 24 March 2009, the Paris Administrative Court ruled in favour of A. Chauprade and suspended the decision of Hervé Morin, saying that the minister had violated a "fundamental freedom", the Human Rights defense. On 1 June 2011, the Paris Administrative Court confirmed the annulment of the decision made by Morin stressing that it resulted "from an irregular procedure", according to the wording of the judgement.
Aymeric Chauprade co-organized with Jacques Frémeaux and Philippe Evanno in February 2013 a conference at the Sorbonne (University of Paris IV), on htreats in North Africa and in the Sahel and overall security of Europe: Menaces en Afrique du Nord et au Sahel et sécurité globale de l'Europe, the proceedings of which were published in April 2013 at Ellipses Editions.
Since January 2010, he has run a website that aims to federate specialists in geopolitics who place identity at the heart of their analyses.
Aymeric Chauprade claims to follow a new French geopolitical school which gives precedence to realpolitik, to a de-ideologised discipline. The ideas (thoughts) of this " new school " express themselves through Revue française de géopolitique (French Review of Geopolitics (Ellipses edition) and through International Academy of geopolitics, the Secretary-General of which is Aymeric Chauprade.
The bases of the geopolitical thought of Aymeric Chauprade are in the line of ideological paths opened by the works of François Thual. The guiding principles of this new school of geopolitics can be found in the introduction of his reference book Géopolitique, constantes et changements dans l'histoire (Geopolitics, constants and changes in history). That's in this introduction that Aymeric Chauprade illustrates his approach to this discipline – to geopolitics ".
Aymeric Chauprade considers Francophonie to be one of the vectors of France's independence and power. A strong supporter of a Europe of nations within European borders (without Turkey), he advocates a political agreement with Russia and supports the idea of multipolar world which involves balanced relationship between China and the United States. He maintains strong relations with Morocco where he is teaching. He travels regularly to the Middle East, Central Europe, Central Asia, Russia and China.
Civilisations according to Aymeric Chauprade
According to Jean-Marc Huissoud, Aymeric Chauprade is considered to be one of the founders of the new French geopolitics, multidisciplinary, attentive to describe the "continuous and discontinuous" in the analysis of international questions.
He has stated that “France is at war against Muslims.”
Aymeric Chauprade supported the list headed by Philippe de Villiers during European Parliament election in 2004. He demonstrates his clearly marked sovereignist convictions: "The sovereigntism is the nation, and the nation is the enemy of the empire. Of all the imperialisms, American, Islamist, internationalist".
On 14 September 2013 he is invited to the Front national Summer University, delivering a lecture entitled "La France face aux défis géopolitiques mondiaux" ("France facing global geopolitical challenges") in which he pays special tribute to Jean-Marie Le Pen. According to the weekly magazine Le Point, in an interview published on 13 November 2013, he should be Front national's top candidate in the Île-de-France region for 2014 European elections and Marine Le Pen's Advisor on foreign policy issues.
In an interview with the French bi-monthly magazine L'Homme nouveau on 27 November 2013, he explains that the "ideological bipolarity" that separates the world today is no longer the one opposing liberalism and communism, which are "two materialisms", but the one opposing "materialism and traditionalism", i.e. "on one side are those who believe that the individual is the supreme value, on the other are those who think that transcendence or the common good are superior to the human person".
In this context, he said that his "commitment is clearly in the second camp," and that he intends "to participate in a project that not only raises the issue of identity in France, but also raises the problem of materialism and rehabilitates transcendence in politics".
(Putin's) “Russia has become the hope of the world against new totalitarianism,” Mr. Chauprade, the National Front’s top European Parliament candidate for the Paris region, said in a speech to Russia’s Parliament in Moscow in 2013. When Crimea held a referendum in March, 2014 on whether the peninsula should secede from Ukraine and join Russia, Mr. Chauprade joined a team of election monitors organized by a pro-Russian outfit in Belgium, the Eurasian Observatory for Elections and Democracy. The team, which pronounced the referendum free and fair, also included members of Austria’s far-right Freedom Party; a Flemish nationalist group in Belgium; and the Jobbik politician in Hungary accused of spying for Russia. Russia offers the prospect of a new European order free of what Mr. Chauprade, in his own speech, described as its servitude to a “technocratic elite serving the American and European financial oligarchy” and its “enslavement by consumerist urges and sexual impulses.” 
Aymeric Chauprade was in 2006 a member of the teaching staff of master of geopolitics at Universite Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne. He held the chair of history of political ideas at University of Neuchâtel from 2003 to 2009.
- L'espace économique francophone (Francophone (French-speaking) economic area), Paris, Ellipses, 1996.
- Histoires d'Égypte (Histories of Egypt), Paris, Les Belles Lettres, 1996.
- Beyrouth éternelle (Eternal Beirut), Paris, Asa Éditions, 1998 (translated in Arabic and English).
- Dictionnaire de géopolitique (Dictionary of geopolitics) with François Thual, Paris, Ellipses, 2nd edition, 1999.
- Introduction à l'analyse géopolitique (Introduction to geopolitical analysis), Paris, Ellipses, 1999 (sold out).
- Les Balkans, la Guerre du Kosovo (en collaboration) (The Balkans, the Kosovo War (in collaboration)), Paris/Lausanne, L'Âge d'Homme, 2000.
- Géopolitique des États-Unis (culture, intérêts, stratégies) (Geopolitics of the United States (culture, interests, strategies)), Paris, Ellipses, 2003.
- Une nouvelle géopolitique du pétrole en Afrique (A new geopolitics of oil in Africa).
- Géopolitique – Constantes et changements dans l'histoire (Geopolitics, constants and changes in history), Paris, Ellipses, 3rd edition 2007.
- Chronique du choc des civilisations (Chronicle of the Clash of Civilizations), Éditions Chronique, January 2009.
- L'Iran réel (The real Iran), Paris, Ellipses 2009 (under the direction of Aymeric Chauprade)
- Chronique du choc des civilisations (Chronicle of the Clash of Civilizations), éditions Chronique, September 2011 (2nd edition completely revised and expanded)
- Menaces en Afrique du Nord et au Sahel et sécurité globale de l'Europe (en collaboration avec Jacques Frémeaux et Philippe Evanno) (Threats in North Africa and in the Sahel and overall security of Europe), Ellipses, April 2013
- Chronique du choc des civilisations, éditions Chronique, September 2013 (3rd edition updated and expanded)
- Prévention des crises et promotion de la paix (Crisis Prevention and Peacebuilding), volume 3 (in collaboration), under the direction of Jean-Pierre Vettovaglia, preface by Abdou Diouf, éditions Emile Bruylant, October 2013
- L'immigration extra-européenne, un défi majeur pour l'Union européenne (Non-European Immigration, a major challenge for the European Union), study for the Thomas-More Institute, July 2006 read online
- Jean Sévillia, Le poids des civilisations dans l'histoire, Le Figaro, 6 February 2009.
- " Les frontières de l'Europe : pour un retour au réalisme géopolitique " Revue politique et parlementaire, Template:Numéro, July–August–September 2005, p. 116.
- En Ile-de-France, l'UMP nettement devant le FN (French) Le Point. 26 May 2014
- La géopolitique : genèse d'une science politique, déterminants et modèles explicatifs, sous la direction d'Edmond Jouve, cf. identifiant pérenne notice Sudoc
- « Chauprade, l'homme qui forme les officiers et déforme l'histoire », Jean Guisnel Le Point, 4 February 2009.
- « Hervé Morin congédie un géopoliticien suite à un article du Point », Jean Guisnel Le Point, 5 February 2009.
- « Morin limoge un gradé pour ses propos sur le 11 September », Le Nouvel Observateur, 5 February 2009.
- « 11/9/complot : Morin limoge un prof », Le Figaro, 5 February 2009.
- « Un enseignant du Collège interarmées de Défense congédié par Hervé Morin », par Jean-Dominique Merchet, Secret défense, 5 February 2009.
- Article sur le blog d'Edmond Jouve, 12 February 2009.
- « Affaire Chauprade : le géopoliticien attaque Hervé Morin en justice », AgoraVox, 17 February 2009.
- Le Figaro du 24 March 2009
- Ordonnance de référé 23 March 2009 Tribunal administratif de Paris
- « La justice donne raison à Aymeric Chauprade contre le ministère de la Défense », par Jean-Dominique Merchet, Secret défense, 28 June 2011
- Menaces en Afrique du Nord et au Sahel et sécurité globale de l’Europe – Actes de colloque
- Jean-Marc Huissoud, Dictionnaire de géopolitique et de géoéconomie, sous la direction de Pascal Gauchon, PUF, 2011.
- André Brigot, " Rejets et nécessité d'une géographie politique européenne ", Le Débat Stratégique, 47, 1999 et " Persistance et utilité des recherches de géopolitique ", Revue Québécoise – Études internationales, 2000.
- Le nouveau visage terroriste du Polisario
- Conférence d’Aymeric Chauprade à Moscou, Mardi 18 mars 2014
- "French politics: After Janvier". The Economist. 24 January 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- " Je voudrais saluer également et dans le même esprit, Aymeric Chauprade. Vous avez bien compris qu'Aymeric Chauprade, qui est le directeur des études de l'école de Guerre, a décidé de descendre dans l'arène. Il est connu sur les plateaux de télévision pour ses interventions de géopolitologue, il nous a apporté un message d'espoir exprimé brillamment. Je le remercie parce que, pour ceux qui ne le sauraient pas, il est reconnu non-seulement dans tous les milieux intellectuels, mais aussi bien au-delà par toutes les sensibilités souverainistes. On en a eu la preuve ce matin. Et merci de faire le lien avec toutes les sensibilités souverainistes qui vous reconnaissent et vous écoutent. " Philippe de Villiers, " L'agenda 2004 du souverainisme ", Université d'été du souverainisme, Lamoura, 7 september 2003.
- Intervention d'Aymeric Chauprade à l’université d’été du Front national, site d'Egalité et Réconciliation
- Le Point, FN : "La civilisation française est menacée par le multiculturalisme", entretien avec Aymeric Chauprade, 13 november 2013
- – Aymeric Chauprade : l’ennemi, c’est la dictature du relativisme. L'Homme nouveau, 27 November 2013