Azam Ali, Niyaz concert, Kavehaz Restaurant & Bar, NYC, September 17, 2005
|Birth name||Azam Aliafgerad|
|Genres||Rock, new-age, world, Sufi|
|Instruments||Hammered Dulcimer, Frame Drum, Riqq, Zils, Chan Chan, Daf, Tanpura, Psaltery, Bendir|
|Labels||Narada, Six Degrees Records|
|Associated acts||Vas, Niyaz, Roseland|
Born in Tehran, Iran, in 1970, Ali spent most of her childhood in Panchgani, India. Ali and her mother moved to Los Angeles, California, in 1985, after which Ali discovered the santour. Ali then studied the santour under Persian master Manoocher Sadeghi, which led to the rediscovery of her voice. She is now living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
In 1996, Ali formed "alternative world" group VAS with percussionist Greg Ellis after meeting the year prior at a concert at UCLA. She and her husband, Loga Ramin Torkian, are also part of another group, Niyaz, an Iranian acoustic electronic group. In 2005, Azam Ali was featured in Enter The Chicken, a Buckethead album, singing the song "Coma" with Serj Tankian.
In 2002, Ali released her first solo album, Portals of Grace. This was followed up with 2006's Elysium for the Brave, which reached #10 on Billboard's World Albums chart on 23 September 2006. Ali's third album, From Night to the Edge of Day (2011), is a collection of lullabies inspired by her son. Lamentation of Swans - A Journey Towards Silence (2013), Ali's fourth album, is a joint effort with her husband Loga R Torkian that began in 2009 and explores the intimate spaces they had to carve out for themselves to escape the demands of touring.
In 2003 she sang Inama Nushif in the fictional Fremen language for the soundtrack to the 2003 Sci Fi Channel mini-series Frank Herbert's Children of Dune, written by Brian Tyler. In 2012, she was the vocalist for Square Enix's Final Fantasy video game tech demo Agni's Philosophy. She also helped American composer Jack Wall on the soundtrack for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 by being vocalist on the track "Pakistan Run".
- Portals of Grace (2002)
- Elysium for the Brave (2006)
- From Night to the Edge of Day (2011)
- Lamentation of Swans - A Journey Towards Silence (2013)
- Enter the Chicken (song "Coma")
- Roseland (2007)
- "Azam Ali".
- "Azam Ali".
- "Niyaz: From Iran to India to Los Angeles".
- "Portals of Grace".
- "Elysium for the Brave – Azam Ali".
- "Azam Ali Crafts Grown-Up Middle-Eastern Lullabies on 'From the Night'".
- Tyler, Brian; Yaitanes, Greg. "Children of Dune". Discography. Official website for film composer Brian Tyler. Retrieved 2006-11-11.
- "Agni's Philosophy – Final Fantasy Realtime Tech Demo". Square Enix. YouTube. June 5, 2012. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- Ali, Azam. "Facebook".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Azam Ali.|