Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences
|Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences|
Office of the Presidium of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences in Baku
|Established||23 January 1945|
The Academy was based on the Azerbaijan Society for Scientific Research and Studies, which was first affiliated with Baku State University and later with the USSR Academy of Sciences. In 1945, the USSR Council of People's Commissars ordered the society to be reorganized into the Academy of Sciences of the Azerbaijan SSR. During its first year, the Academy numbered 15 members; Uzeyir Hajibeyov and Samad Vurgun among them.
Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences is divided into 5 departments (altogether they affiliate over 30 research and cultural institutions throughout the country), namely:
- Department of Physical, Mathematical and Technical Sciences
- Department of Chemical Sciences
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Biological and Medical Sciences
- Department of Agricultural Sciences
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
The Academy has a two-tier membership. Currently there are 57 active members and 104 corresponding members. Membership is granted through vote. The Academy also grants honorary membership.
The main executive figure in the academy is President of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences  who is elected by members of the Academy.
|Name of President||Period served|
The Academy was criticized by several members of National Assambly, in July 2012 for publishing a children's tale called "The Unwanted Son-In-Law," which contained vulgar language and graphic scenes of incest. The story was published in 2007 in the sixth volume of the ambiguously titled “Tales” anthology. Kamila Aliyeva, a member of the Science and Education Committee was quoted as saying "I wonder if they were aware of the contents of the book," she asked. "If they were, it is shameful. And if they were not, it is also shameful." 
- Meeting with young scientists proposed for Presidential Award
- Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences: Establishment. Science.az. Retrieved 31 December 2006
- Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences: Previous Presidents. Science.az. Retrieved 31 December 2006
- Deana Kjuka, Rovshan Gambarov (July 20, 2012). "'Shameful' Folktale Of Incest, Vulgarity Causes Outrage In Azerbaijan". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences.|