Azerbaijan National Aerospace Agency
Azerbaijan National Aerospace Agency (MAKA; Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Milli Aerokosmik Agentliyi), is a governmental body that coordinates all Azerbaijani space research programs with scientific and commercial goals. It was established in 1992 in place of the Kaspiy scientific research center of the National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan and currently is headed by PhD Alchin Shirinzade.
The Azerbaijani space programme is mostly carried out through international cooperation as during the Soviet era, a few Azerbaijani plants produced equipment for the Soviet Union’s space projects, but their facilities are now out-of-date. The programme has included a sequence of satellite missions, both national ones and in cooperation with other nations.
In 2009, Azerbaijani space industry boosted as new agency set up under the state program for development of space industry after Ilham Aliyev's approval. As part of the program, by 2013 it is planned to make proposals for the in-country assembly and production of VSAT (Very Small Aperture satellite Terminal) A small earth station for satellite transmission that handles up to 56 kbit/s of digital transmission. VSATs that handle the T1 data rate (up to 1.544 Mbit/s) are called "TSATs. and parts of other terminal stations, satellite receivers of different types and functions (internet, direct TV, GPS, etc.) in order to create the space industry.
On 30th June 2014, Azerbaijan with cooperation from Airbus launched SPOT 7 Earth observation satellite. They form a constellation of Earth-imaging satellites designed to provide continuity of high-resolution, wide-swath data up to 2024.
Missions and projects
Current missions or projects with MAKA contribution
- Azerspace 2 (in preparation)
- Azerbaijan National Aerospace Agency (ANASA)
- Azərbaycan Milli Aero Kosmik Agentliyi GPS/QLONASS qəbuledicilərinin telematik modullarının istehsal edəcək (Azerbaijani)
- "Azərbaycan Milli Aerokosmik Agentliyinin direktoru: “Kosmonavt hazırlamağa tam hüququmuz və imkanlarımız var” – MÜSAHİBƏ". az.apa.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Baku developing satellite to kick off national space program
- "Müəssisə haqqında". www.mdi.gov.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Azerbaijan to set up a new agency under the state program for development of space industry.
- Chester, Simon. "SPOT 7 successfully launched". www.spatialsource.com.au. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "Launch of SPOT 7 completes Airbus Defence and Space observation satellite constellation". www.space-airbusds.com. http://www.space-airbusds.com/. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "ISRO prepares for historic 100th mission". timesofindia.indiatimes.com/. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Orujova, Nigar. "Airbus Defense and Space, Azercosmos launch low orbit satellite". www.azernews.az. Retrieved 3 July 2014.