Azerbaijan at the 2014 Winter Olympics
|Azerbaijan at the Olympic Games|
|At the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi|
|Competitors||4 in 2 sports|
|Flag bearer||Rahman Khalilov (opening)
Alexei Sitnikov (closing)
|Olympic history (summary)|
|Other related appearances|
| Russian Empire (1900–1912)
Soviet Union (1952–1988)
Unified Team (1992)
Azerbaijan competed at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia from 7 to 23 February 2014. Even though all the athletes that competed for Azerbaijan werere foreign-born, the head of the Azerbaijani delegation at the Sochi Olympics Kenul Nurullayeva said: "if Azerbaijan is mentioned, at least for three times during the opening ceremony of the Olympics, it will be a big deal for us. What else do we need besides the publicity? We work for this".
At the 2014 Winter Olympics Azerbaijan offered the biggest bonuses for medal-winning athletes among other competing countries ($510,000 for gold, $255,000 for silver and $130,000 for bronze medal).
According to the quota allocation released on January 20, 2014, Azerbaijan has qualified two athletes. Gaia Bassani Antivari had to withdraw from competition, because she sustained an injury during training.
|Athlete||Event||Run 1||Run 2||Total|
|Patrick Brachner||Men's giant slalom||1:31.32||60||1:32.31||53||3:03.63||53|
|Gaia Bassani Antivari||Women's slalom||DNS|
Azerbaijan has achieved the following quota places:
|Julia Zlobina / Alexei Sitnikov||Ice dancing||58.15||14 Q||90.48||11||148.63||12|
- Timman (7 February 2014). "Opening Ceremony Recap". http://www.tvgrapevine.com/. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Sochi 2014 Closing Ceremony - Flagbearers". The International Olympic Committee (IOC). February 23, 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Javadova, Khanim (16 January 2014). "BBC: Only foreign athletes will leave for Sochi to present Azerbaijan, but even that does not give Baku much hope for victory". BBC (bbc.co.uk). Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Jeffrey Strain (11 Feb 2014). "What Different Countries Pay Athletes for Olympic Gold Medals". SavingAdvice.com. Retrieved 12 Feb 2014.
- "Summary of Quota allocation as per 20.01.2014". www.fis-ski.com. FIS. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Injured Azerbaijani skier halts Olympic adventure". Day.az. 22 February 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Osborne, Paul (27 December 2013). "Azerbaijan unveils Sochi 2014 Olympic Opening and Closing Ceremony uniforms". http://www.insidethegames.biz/. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Azerbaijan at the 2014 Winter Olympics.|